We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandboarding in Huacachina Day Trip-Aprox cost from Lima

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
19 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Sandboarding in Huacachina Day Trip-Aprox cost from Lima

We are going to Peru, and my children 12 and 15 found out about the sandboarding in Huacachina. I would like to know if we can do it by ourselves or if we need to add it to the tour? They are charging me $120pp including bus, transfer and sandboarding. I have one free day in Lima at the beginning and one at the end of our 13day trip. Which day is best? I understand is a 4-5 hrs trip each way. Please advise me on how to do this without expending a fortune. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Huacachina
Huacachina
Ica Region, Peru
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Viajes Paracas
Sightseeing Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Aventura En Paracas
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Ica Adventures
Sightseeing Tours
Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
228 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandboarding in Huacachina Day Trip-Aprox cost from Lima

You may find it tricky to do in it one day!! But you can do it yourself. Take a Cruz del Sur bus to Ica, from there you can take a taxi to Huacachina for about 6-7 soles. You'll find a whole bunch of places renting sand boards once there.

www.cruzdelsur.com.pe

Roughtly about $25 per person each way.

Maybe you want to try and travel down the night before on a later bus and stay the night. The Huacahinero is a pretty good place to stay. Will probably cost you $40 for a tripple.

Make sure you check out the sand buggies too.

Mentioned in this post
Huacachina
Huacachina
Ica Region, Peru
Toronto
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandboarding in Huacachina Day Trip-Aprox cost from Lima

1 day is ambitious for getting there and back from Lima. I would recommend taking a late night bus from Lima the night before (appr. $10 per person one way). From Ica to Huacachina - 6-8 soles total. The hostels on the main strip are very decent and have pools (appr. $8 per person for a room of 4). Make sure to sign up for the dune buggying which will include sandboarding ($25 dollars per person if you are staying with the hostel, $30 if not)...much more fun than walking up and you will go to the biggest dunes. The dune buggying alone is the best part, and one of the funnest activities in all of peru. I highly recommend the trip to Huacachina, enjoy!

Dune buggying trips leave in both the morning and in the afternoon. Buses back to Lima can be caught right up till about 9 pm or even later. The road between Lima and Ica is very good and so are the buses (if you pay an extra few dollars for a good one) so sleeping is not a problem.

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Huacachina
Huacachina
Ica Region, Peru
Toronto
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandboarding in Huacachina Day Trip-Aprox cost from Lima

Edit: as was mentioned above, the more comfortable buses are a little more expensive Appr. $25 per person, the hostels on the main strip have very decent (although basic) rooms and their rates are very cheap.

I would go at the end of your trip. Get some SUN just before you head home.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
19 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandboarding in Huacachina Day Trip-Aprox cost from Lima

Thanks! I will look into thst option better.

London
Level Contributor
108 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandboarding in Huacachina Day Trip-Aprox cost from Lima

Try do the dune buggy tour in the afternoon as in the morning it is often foggy and can be cold so not as nice as doing the sandboarding in the sun...

6. Re: Sandboarding in Huacachina Day Trip-Aprox cost from Lima

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2009, 07:17