We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoud we stay in Ica or Huacachina?

Washington DC...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shoud we stay in Ica or Huacachina?

I am wondering if anyone who has visited the area before can shed some light as to which city is better to stay in. My understanding is that the cities are very close together (5-10 min), but I was wondering if one of them was larger/better suited to stay in, for things like number of restaurants/hotels/bars, the number of tours that leave from there, etc.

Thanks

Ica, Peru
Level Contributor
920 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoud we stay in Ica or Huacachina?

It depends on your budget. The best hotels in the region are located in Ica:

Villa Jazmin - an excellent 3 star hotel with a delicious breakfast buffet. Rooms are usually around $75 - $80 USD per night. The service at the hotel is also excellent; very friendly and helpful staff.

Hotel Las Dunas - a respected 4 star hotel with a huge pool, lots of touristic stuff to do, like horseback riding, etc. Rooms are around $150 USD per night

But these hotels are isolated, in a quiet region of Ica called La Angostura. They are only a few minutes away by taxi, but they feel very quiet and remote.

If you are looking for access to nearby restaurants, bars, and tours that depart from nearby, staying in Huacachina is much smarter. Also, if you plan on staying in a hotel that is less expensive than $75 USD per night then staying in Huacachina is your best bet.

Overall, I would recommend Huacachina for you, but those hotels really are better than the crap hotels in Huacachina.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 17:04
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoud we stay in Ica or Huacachina?

Ica is a little scary at night. Huacachina is such a small sweet area - and you can find a good place to stay for less than $100. I will definitely do Huacachina.

San Francisco...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoud we stay in Ica or Huacachina?

Huacachina was amazing. When I went to Ica it was just for a vineyard tour. I stayed 4 nights there, it was great!

4. Re: Shoud we stay in Ica or Huacachina?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 20:15