We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Paracas-Balletas Island - NEED HELP!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Paracas-Balletas Island - NEED HELP!!!

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are going to Peru in May and we are planning to do a day trip to Paracas-Balletas Island since we have 1 day to spare in Lima. Need advice on the following questions:

1. Is there any recommended bus company that goes to Paracas and if they have a website please could you send the link. How much is the bus trip and how long.

2. From Paracas - how can we get to Balletas? How long is the trip from Paracas to Balletas and how much is the trip?

3. Any recommendation for a cheap and reliable tour company for a day trip to Paracas-Balletas Island day trip?

4. What other things can we do in Paracas if the boat trip to balletas is only 2 hours max?

5. Is May the best time to visit Paracas and will we be able to see humbolt penguins?

Thank you so much!

Vicky

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,369 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Paracas-Balletas Island - NEED HELP!!!

The bus trip to Paracas is 6 hours each way, so you will not have time at all to do anything else.

Instead Inreommend you visit the Palomino Islands which are located in El Callao, a 40 minute drive from Miraflores.

Ica, Peru
Level Contributor
920 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Paracas-Balletas Island - NEED HELP!!!

Hello Vickster,

Actually the bus ride from Lima to Paracas is only four hours, not six hours. You can buy tickets with Cruz del Sur, who will charge you around $20 USD per person.

There are many companies that offer tours to the Ballestas Islands from Paracas. It is a two hour trip, and costs around $20 USD.

You can also do a tour of the Paracas National Reserve,, which doesn't have many animals but the scenery is very nice.

May is a good time to visit the islands, and the penguins should be there. They aren't gonna fly away :)

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Paracas-Balletas Island - NEED HELP!!!

www.cruzdelsur.com.pe has a bus that departs Lima around 4AM which arrives in Paracas just in time to join a boat tour of the Islas Ballestas. When my wife and I did this there was this tour company www.zarcilloconnections.com/en/peru-tour.php… that had a booth right at the CDS bus depot in Paracas where you could sign up upon arrival. I cant remember what we paid but it wasnt much...maybe $15-20 per person.

Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Paracas-Balletas Island - NEED HELP!!!

If you're willing to leave very early and get back very late, multiple companies offer a full day package that will get you ballestas AND nazca lines and back to lima, all in a day. This involves leaving Lima on a 3:30am bus and coming back around 10pm.

From what i saw when i was doing my research (going in May myself), the companies that offer this as a "tour" do one of two things:

1. Take you on private transport (i.e. their own van/bus) between all the places

OR

2. Book you tickets on Cruz Del Sur (which is best bus company in Peru by all accounts) and just get their people to meet you at the bus stops to provide transfers and such.

Either option from a reputable company starts at around $400 for the day.

Initially i was going to book the 1-day tour from SAS travel: sastravelperu.com/english/program/512/nazca-…

since i ended up having 2 days in lima rather than 1, i instead opted for a 2-day option through Adventures to Peru. Their customer service rep - Sean - was fantastic in tailoring their offered 3 day trip for me to be done in 2 days instead. They don't have a 1-day trip listed on their site, but if SAS can do it, i assume so can they: adventurestoperu.com/nazca-lines-ballestas-i…

Of course if you speak a little spanish and are confortable on your own, you should able to just buy Cruz Del Sur tickets online and manage as much or as little of these activities on your own without having to book a tour.

Good luck!

Edited: 16 April 2013, 18:37
Peru
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Paracas-Balletas Island - NEED HELP!!!

www.busportal.pe

London, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Paracas-Balletas Island - NEED HELP!!!

Thanks all for the reply, its very helpful!!

Just a follow up question.... is the $20 return ticket or just one way? So its doable to do the trip independently rather than join a group? I will be travelling with my boyfriend so I won't be travelling alone.

Do we have to be at Paracas by 8 am to catch the 830 boat? Can we not arrive a bit later ie 10 am then get the next boat?

Thanks!

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Paracas-Balletas Island - NEED HELP!!!

The departure time will depend on the tour company but in general the tour depart early in the morning only...between 8-9AM...and thats because the water gets choppy later in the morning.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
11 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Paracas-Balletas Island - NEED HELP!!!

Hi fallingstill. Can you share your 2-Day itinerary with the Adventures to Peru and cost. I am interested, as we are going in early august after doing Amazon Cruise and the Inca Trail.

Thanks, Vickie

Crowsnest Pass...
Level Contributor
292 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Paracas-Balletas Island - NEED HELP!!!

Not sure of your budget but we did the trip with www.perugoldenshuttle.com/peruvacations.php. We did it as a custom tour that made a long day. After the Ballestis islands we did a winery tour and then out to the Huacachina Oasis for lunch followed by a dune buggy ride and sandboarding. We were picked up with our luggage at our hotel early in the morning and taken for our day. We had both a driver and a guide so that the driver could take breaks while we were off doing activities. We ended our day at the airport as arranged. The cost was more than a group trip on public transportation but it was worth it for the assurance that we would be dropped off at the airport in plenty time for our flight home.

10. Re: Day trip to Paracas-Balletas Island - NEED HELP!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2014, 06:17