We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips & Info for those planning to go to Sagada and Banaue

Manila Philippines
Level Contributor
109 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Tips & Info for those planning to go to Sagada and Banaue

Tips and information for those planning to go to Sagada and/or Banaue.

(based on my humble 6 days experience only)

ROAD and TRANSPORTATION

1. There are two major routes going to Sagada - Via Baguio thru the Halsema Highway (Baguio Bontoc Road); and via Nueva Vizcaya - Dalton Pass / Banawe Bontoc Road.

2. Halsema Highway was once tagged as one of the scariest highways in the world. But the highway now is 99% paved and widened, and maintenance is quite good. It may still be a little bit scary to some, but to others, it may be one of the most scenic road in the world.

3. The highest point in Philippine Highway system is in Atok along Halsema Highway at 7400ft (over 2 KM) elevation.

4. Nueva Vizcaya / Banaue route is "not scary" but not as scenic as the Halsema Highway. The roads are also wide and in very good condition. Even the Dalton Pass is no longer scary.

5. Gasoline / Diesel are more expensive in Banaue and Bontoc or Sagada by about P2 to P4 / liter, than in Metro Manila or Tarlac.

6. The roads inside Banaue and Sagada are very narrow. some are even 1 way and unpaved. I Think these are the scary roads.

7. There are no taxi or tricycles in Sagada, so one will have to walk a lot.

8.There are public utility vehicles from Baguio to Sagada (via Bontoc)

9.There are public utility vehicles from Manila to Banaue (via Bontoc)

10. There are public utility vehicles from Banaue to Sagada and vice versa

11. Vans / travel packages are also available (from some Metro Manila Travel agencies)

ACCOMODATIONS

12. Accomodations in Sagada and Banaue are just Basic to make your stay comfortable but not luxurious. asimple room with toilet and bed, with hot shower. No aircon / some have no electric fan. Many have no window screen (like the one we stayed at Sagada).

Most have free wifi. Some with TV

13. Bring your own toiletries - Soap, Shampoo, Toothbrush, Toothpaste and toilet paper. And for some, mosquito repellant.

14. Exception is the Banaue Hotel and Youth Hostel (in Banaue). It is an old hotel (1973) but still nice. The hotel is very clean, rooms with screened windows. And they have a pool with very clean water.

No TV or wifi in room though. Paid wifi at the lobby

FOOD

15. Food is inexpensive P130 to P180 for a set meal of meat, rice and vegetable.

16. Best food in Sagada (in our experience) is in Log Cabin. During off-peak, they are open only for dinner. Occassionally they are also open for lunch. Saturday night is buffet night.

17. Good food also in Yoghurt House and Bana'S Cafe (they even serve Civet Coffee for P200/cup), both in Sagada. Breakfast at Masferre a little better than that of Ganduyan, but both simple.

18. We were not able to try many restaurants in Banaue because our hotel is not in the town center. and Also our room comes with buffet breakfast. Their buffet breakfast is quite simple - corned beef,

sausage or meatloaf, eggs, rice, bread and spreads, some seasonal fruits. Banaue Hotel serves good and affordable barbeques and rice near their pool for lunch and dinner.

19. Food in (Banaue) Sanafe Lodge is just okay and the service was very poor. But the view is beautiful from their outdoor dining area.

OTHERS

20. Banaue and Sagada are for nature exploration and enjoyment. There are no "happy hours". There are no bars or drinking spots there.

21. Sagada has a curfew from 9:00Pm to 4:00am

22. To enjoy Banaue and Sagada more, one has to walk a lot (10 minutes to 30minutes, others up to 2hours).

23. I think that non-slippery sandals or shoes are the best. And do not bring non-essential items while trekking.

24. Attractions in Sagada are more accessible - near to the town proper, than in Banaue. (A lot of walking still). In Banaue attractions may be reach by a combination of a ride in Jeepney (rented for P2000 to P4000) and trekking. For example, to reach Batad Rice terraces (the most beautiful, they say), one has to rent a jeepney from the town proper to Saddle Point (over 1 hour of rough road) then walk from Saddle Point to the town of Batad then to the terraces (around 2 hours). Many opt to stay for a night in Batad.

We did not go to Batad, though and instead settled to view Bangaan Rice Terraces which has less trekking.

(we were not prepared, our shoes were slippery)

24. Always be prepared to get wet. Some attractions are waterfalls and rivers, where one can swim.

25. Attractions in Banaue are primarily the diferrent Rice Terraces, while in Sagada, the attractions are Caves, underground rivers, hanging coffins. I believe both have great viewing points for sunrise and sunsets.

26. Sagada is located a few kilometers away from Halsema highway. The roads are being concreted but many are still unpaved.

27. Banaue is more easily accessible from the highway (than Sagada).

28. There are jeepneys and buses plying Banaue to Sagada and vice versa (about 3 hours ride).

29. It's not very cold in the morning or afternoon (April 2012). I wore cotton Shirts, and occassionaly jacket at late afternoon.

NOTE: The above information is largely incomplete.

I do not claim the above information to be 100% accurate.

Use at your own risk :)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
85 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips & Info for those planning to go to Sagada and Banaue

Thanks for posting. The information is helpful.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,580 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips & Info for those planning to go to Sagada and Banaue

Excellent info.

I wonder if you could answer jsut a few questions? Assuming that I am only interested in the nature, culture and rice terraces (not caves or tombs)...

1) should I stay at banae or sagada?

2) how many hours from baguio to the palce you answered for the above question? how is the frequency of buses? would it be easier to get this bus from tarlac instead?

3) any place you can recommend for oversight stay in the above? Budget = max 3500 pesos per night. for hotel.

Thanks a lot! Also, is there any blog page where you have put up your photos and experiences?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,418 posts
1,560 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips & Info for those planning to go to Sagada and Banaue

Touristdriver would be perfect to answer these questions as he regularly takes clients there.

Why not pm him for further information.He will be more than happy to assist.

Tommo

Manila
Level Contributor
622 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips & Info for those planning to go to Sagada and Banaue

@Bensy, hope you don't mind i ad and correct some of your list

19. most of the lodging in has the same services... slow! i tried las vegas, sanafe, people's lodging and uyami... i takes forever before you can eat.

20. banaue has the Friends country bar and in sagada... i forgot the name. the bar is about 30sqm only. lot's of reggae poster and vodoo stuff. they play an album of bo marley when i was there.

21. yep! bars closed at 9pm!!!

24. it only takes around an hour trek to batad ridge.

26. 9km from halsema sagada junction to town center. 80% concrete as of today.

@YLOO suggest you stay in batad. There's no hotel though. most of the lodging in batad cost 250pesos per person.

Suggest you take the bontoc route for scenery along the way. baguio to bontoc... 7hours i think? bontoc to banaue is 2.5hrs. At banaue, take a jeep to mayauyao and alight at batad junction. 2hours trek to the batad ridge where most of the lodging is located.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,712 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips & Info for those planning to go to Sagada and Banaue

bensy,

Has the rice terrace in Batad been repaired?

Thanks.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,580 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips & Info for those planning to go to Sagada and Banaue

Thanks Tommo - good idea

TD - I have just PM'ed you....

Manila Philippines
Level Contributor
109 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips & Info for those planning to go to Sagada and Banaue

@youliveonlyonce

For nature, culture and rice terraces only, I recommend Banaue.

I recommend you to stay in Banaue Hotel and Youth Hostel (around P2300 per night with buffet breakfast for 2) which is a few minutes from the town center, Then, in the morning go to Batad to view the terraces. You may opt to stay for a night or 2 in Batad, No hotel though, simple lodging only (P200 to 250 per night)

I did not go to Batad (see #24), and the information I provided for Batad were from the locals there and a local map.

There is a new road from Baguio to Banaue but I haven't tried it. I went to Banaue, through Baguio then Sagada. and went back to Manila via Nueva Vizcaya.

There are buses going to Banaue from Tarlac and even from Metro Manila via Nueva Vizcaya where the roads are better.

There could also be buses from Baguio to Banaue via the new road, but I am not sure.

I posted some pictures in my facebook account which is not yet public. :)

Fell free to PM me if you have more questions.

@TouristDriver

I don't mind the corrections and additions. After all, I am not really an expert in Banaue or Sagada.

From saddle point, Trek to Batad is about one a Half hour, according to a map in Banaue Hotel, but I guess some people trek/walk faster than the others.

When we went to Sagada last 2012 April 3, many roads are cemented on 1 lane only and it was not passable yet because it wasn't completely dry yet. So we drove along the unpaved road. But I am sure that in a few months time, the road will be much better. :)

Manila Philippines
Level Contributor
109 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips & Info for those planning to go to Sagada and Banaue

I wrote reviews of various attractions I went and posted some pictures, but these are still pending with tripadvisor

Edited: 11 April 2012, 09:12
Manila
Level Contributor
622 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips & Info for those planning to go to Sagada and Banaue

Oh yes! Saddle point to batad center is 1.5hrs trek. i was thinking more about the batad ridge only.

Hmmm... i'm not sure anymore! well... guess I'll do the batad next trip (May) and get the right info. hi hi

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,580 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips & Info for those planning to go to Sagada and Banaue

Thanks Bensy

I have PM'ed you