We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banuaue to Sagada (3 days inclusive) - advice needed!

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Banuaue to Sagada (3 days inclusive) - advice needed!

Hi everyone

I’m going to the Philippines in August/September and I would really appreciate some advice!

I arrive in Manila on 4 September and plan on getting the overnight bus to Banuaue.

Day 1: Once I arrive in Banuaue, I will go on to Batad and spend the day viewing the rice terraces – can anyone recommend a guide for this?

Day 2: Tappiyah falls (can I do this without a guide?); trek back to the Saddle, jeepney back to Banuaue.

Days 3-5: I then want to go to Sagada. I have booked accommodation for 2 nights and will need to be back in Banuaue by the end of day 5 to catch the overnight bus back to Manila. Can anyone recommend any tour guides that offer 3 days inclusive tours including transport to/back from Banuaue? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks very much,

Cary

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,836 posts
1,981 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banuaue to Sagada (3 days inclusive) - advice needed!

Tour guide Irene is recommended on this TA page:

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g294245-c188959/Ph…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
647 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banuaue to Sagada (3 days inclusive) - advice needed!

May I suggest:

1. Banaue-The terraces in Banaue is more widespread but easier to see and reach.

2. Tappiyah Falls is in Batad. So do that in one day. I suggest if you can stay overnight in Batad. There's a couple of places there, but you can check out Hillside. Start early. Batad is steep. The climb back up from Tappiyah falls to the ridge is tough on the legs.

3. Sagada - you'll need to spend a night in Sagada and return the next day.

How are you going to return to Manila? There are 2 ways from Sagada backtrack to Banaue (+/- 2 hours). The other is via Halsema Highway, leave Sagada early to Baguio (6 hrs) then to Manila (not sure around 5 hours.)

Irene seems to be highly recommended. Maybe run your plan by her, and see what she thinks.

Manila
Level Contributor
633 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banuaue to Sagada (3 days inclusive) - advice needed!

I know someone with a 1 month old SUV (Mitsubishi Montero) in Banaue. I ask him the price and he said 12,000 pesos for 3 days inclusion of fuel, tour guide's fee and driver's accommodation.

15,000 and it include the batad transfer (2-way).

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banuaue to Sagada (3 days inclusive) - advice needed!

Very risky. Sept and Aug is the wet season and there may be typhoon.

There may be landslide and it may take a few days to clear the road. So make sure you have buffer some days for delay.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
647 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Banuaue to Sagada (3 days inclusive) - advice needed!

@Tourist Driver That sounds like an excellent price all inclusive. That's amazing. In Sagada, I was quoted P7,500 just to drive me from Sagada to Vigan, one way.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Banuaue to Sagada (3 days inclusive) - advice needed!

Thanks guys! That's really helpful.

I was thinking from Banuaue-Sagada I would get a jeepney (which I have read takes about 3-4 hours and would cost around 250 pesos per person - is that a good estimate?). Then from Banuaue, get the overnight bus back to Manila. I hear what you're saying about the typhoons/road too - are any blockages normally cleared quickly?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Banuaue to Sagada (3 days inclusive) - advice needed!

From what I understand, blockage may take a few days to clear.

It really depends on how fast the authorities deploy the heavy machinery and also the weather.

As for your estimates, it is pretty good.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Banuaue to Sagada (3 days inclusive) - advice needed!

I'm on a buget so I'm thinking of getting the bus from Banaue to Bontoc and then a jeepney on to Sagada:

1. Does anyone know the time this bus departs (I think its the immanuel one?)? and

2. Can anyone recommend accomodation close to this departure point?

Also, final question! Can anyone recommend a cheap place to store your hold luggage close to Manila airport?

Thank you

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
647 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Banuaue to Sagada (3 days inclusive) - advice needed!

I'm forwarding you a link, gobaguio.com/sagada/manila-to-sagada-via-ban…

Read Step 2. You can check at the market for jeepneys bound for Sagada, as an option to going to Bontoc. Otherwise, when you get to Bontoc ask your jeepney drive where you can catch the jeepney for Sagada.

The GL/Lizardo bus I took from Sagada to Baguio stopped in Bontoc, drop off/pick up more passengers. So I wonder if they do it coming back. Banaue to Bontoc is like 2 hours+/- only. To Sagada a little over an hour when I went there.

Btw., check the road conditions with the locals there before you head out. September is still typhoon season.

Edited: 19 June 2014, 17:49
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Banuaue to Sagada (3 days inclusive) - advice needed!

This is the storage facility in T3.

…wordpress.com/2011/12/p1110733.jpg

As for hotel, I will choose Sogo at Harrison because it is near to Mall of Asia where you can have a good choice of food and shopping.