We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day hike north of Herceg Novi / Mt. Orjen area

Denmark
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Day hike north of Herceg Novi / Mt. Orjen area

We would like to do a day hike (circular or out and back the same way) of 3-4 hours north of Herceg Novi in July. I have read about Subra and Mt. Orjn being spectacular areas but I reckon we won't be able to make it all the way up and back) in 3-4 hours(?) I presume our starting point will be Herceg Novi, however we do have car (we're staying in Kotor) so if it's more practical to drive to a different/smaller location to start out from, that's fine too. We prefer a marked hiking trail but we don't mind if it's strenuous and includes a bit of light scrambling.

Any suggestions?

Herceg-Novi...
Level Contributor
163 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day hike north of Herceg Novi / Mt. Orjen area

Drive car to Borici and park there.Continue on trail road to Mount hut Vratlo (1141m).From there you have lot of marked trail roads.

Here is satellite view https://goo.gl/maps/cDi9L

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,108 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day hike north of Herceg Novi / Mt. Orjen area

Very easy hike to the Vratlo Hut. From Vratlo to the top of Subra much harder but possible.

Denmark
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day hike north of Herceg Novi / Mt. Orjen area

Hi Pierre, that's OK, we can do "difficult". :-) It's more the time I'm concerned about. I have read somewhere that from the Vratlo Hut to Subra and back is about 4 hours (round trip). So, the hike from Borici to Vratlo (and back) would add another 2 hours, making the whole thinkg 6 hours total. Would that be right, do you think?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,108 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day hike north of Herceg Novi / Mt. Orjen area

I'm not sure. I turned back before reaching the top because of bad weather. I had reached a very slow section made of sharp rocks.

5. Re: Day hike north of Herceg Novi / Mt. Orjen area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2016, 17:18