We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colombo to Dambulla by AC Bus

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Colombo to Dambulla by AC Bus

Im currently working from Colombo and would like to go to dambulla this weekend.

Is it possible to go by AC bus on saturday morning and return to colombo by early evening on sunday?

How long does the journey take? and do the buses go from near colombo fort railway station? (i went to galle from there last weekend). Also how much is the cost?

i would also like to go to sigiriya over the weekend. Im assuming i can get a tuk tuk from dambulla easy enough? what is a reasonable price to pay? is it best i travel to lion rock on saturday afternoon or sunday morning?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,221 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colombo to Dambulla by AC Bus

Hi there,

Yes should be feasible. Journey takes around 5-5.5 hours.

Last time I took it the buses departed from the north side of Olcott Mawatha, about 800 m east of Fort station; but 'Pettah bus stand' of which this is a part re-groups about every 6 months so you will have to ask around to find the right bus. Do not only ask for Dambulla, also buses to e.g. Pollonaruwa and Trinco pass Dambulla.

Cost for this distance should be around Rs 300 on AC.

Dambulla-Sigiriya is easy yes by tuktuk. Around 15 km meaning around Rs 500-600 one way. But you can save cost by first taking a bus from Dambulla to the north upto the Sigiriya junction, from there only 8 km left.

Morning before 10:30 start or afternoon after 3 PM start are more or less equal in view/fun quality.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colombo to Dambulla by AC Bus

Many Thanks Erik & Sandya! This is great!

3. Re: Colombo to Dambulla by AC Bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 19:17
Get answers to your questions about Dambulla
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question