We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hikkaduwa beach bars

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hikkaduwa beach bars

Hi all, I have been to Lanka 3 times but never got to hikkaduwa, I have been told that it much like goa with all the beach bars etc. is this true and which hotel is best to stay in at around 3*. any info welcome

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hikkaduwa beach bars

Hi bladesboy,

I can't compare with Goa but I think you'll find what you want in Hikkaduwa.

There are two distinct and different beach areas in Hikkaduwa.

Going south from the town centre, the first one you come to is the reef sheltered beach.

Most, but not all, of the frontage onto that beach is built up. A mixture of medium sized hotels, bars and restaurants.

Not over run by big hotels so not all package deal places. plenty of local life as it's the beach most of the locals come to.

The other beach area,,

just after the place where the reef runs into the beach, there's a small stony bay and then the bigger beach starts.

This one is wide and long. Goes on for miles south of town.

It's more or less fringed with palm trees and most of the shops, bars, restaurants etc along the road there open at the rear, onto the beach.

Mainly smaller local buisinesses along this stretch and more guest houses than hotels. The hotels that are along this beach tend to be smaller and less intrusive.

The beach is much quieter along this area.

I've stayed plenty of times in places adjoining both the beaches.

On the reef sheltered beach I usually stay in the Coral Reef Hotel. Cheap and cheerful. Some of the rooms are a bit tired so inspect the room first and get the best.

next door is the Coral Sands which is a good three star.

On the other beach , the longer one running more south of town, Sunil's Beach Hotel is a good 2 to 3 star. Or, there's plenty of good guest houses around the area of Narigama, a sort of southern suburb of Hikkaduwa.

Rod.

Belgium, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hikkaduwa beach bars

Hi

Yes you get same atmosphere like goa . people, vegetation ,beaches are almost same .only thing you can’t see the churches at hikkaduwa area as common in goa. Hikkaduwa is more popular among the budget travelers even you get few 3* or equal type accommodation.

Amaya reef hotel

Coral sand hotel

Coral garden hotel

Hope that will help.

Thanks,

ind

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hikkaduwa beach bars

not so many hotels on hikkaduwa ,narigama.but good guest houses,which represent excellant value at less than £10 a night .there are loads available.i usually just turn up leave the wife with the luggage in a beach restaurant,walk 100m up the beach stopping at 4 or 5 places till i see one i like ,haggle a price.pay 1 night at a time[one time i had to move out as they had a dog that barked all night].enjoy ,we do.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hikkaduwa beach bars

Thank you all for your replies will go and find out.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hikkaduwa beach bars

Hi,

Is there any discos around beach in hikkaduwa?.

Thanks

Aravind

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hikkaduwa beach bars

no discos,well ive never seen or heard one.

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hikkaduwa beach bars

Hi,

I agree, no discos and long may it remain that way.

You do get music at some of the small bars backing onto the beach, they usually like their Bob Marley, but it's not set at a volume you could hear in the next country.

Rod.

8. Re: Hikkaduwa beach bars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Hikkaduwa
Recent Conversations