We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling End Of The Beach

Magaluf, Spain
Level Contributor
297 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling End Of The Beach

Hi,

Finally we have made a decision. We think we would prefer to stay nearer to the snorkeling end of the beach, not necessarily right at the end but closer to that end. I'm trying to get something booked for a couple of nights before we arrive but am unsure what guest houses are at what end so if anyone could give me the name of a few guest houses near the 'snorkelly end' that would be great.

Where is the Blue Note and Neelas?

Thanks

Beatster

Belgium, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling End Of The Beach

hi

blue notes south of hikkaduwa (wewala) neelas situated narigama further south of hikkaduwa .

thanks,

ind

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling End Of The Beach

Hi,

Not really any guesthouses on the reef protected part of the beach. They are further south in Narigama (about 2 km).

There are some cheaper hotels between Coral Sands and Coral Gardens.

Coral Reef Beach Hotel 336, Galle Road 091/2277453

Mama's Hotel + Restaurant 338, Galle Road 091/2277137

Coral Rock Hotel 340, Galle Road 091/2277521

Coral Seas Beach 346, Galle Road 091/2277248

I guess Curry Bowl Guesthouse (go-lanka.com/Hikkaduwa/curry-bowl-guesthouse…) is the guesthouse that is closest to the reef protected beach.

Edited: 06 February 2010, 10:10
UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling End Of The Beach

Hi Beatster,

Referring to the snorkelling end of the beach could be confusing.

Imagine the beach, quite long and wide, devided into 4 sections. Numbered 1,2,3,4 from north to south.

Best place for snorkelling from the beach would be section 2.

Hans has posted a good list for accomodation. Of those, depends on what you want to pay, the Coral Reef is probably the cheapest. I don't like to quote prices that you'll get as often it's down to bargaining, but can tell you what some of them were charging in October.

Coral Reef, I bargained to 1750 for a double room including breakfasts.

Coral Rock the manager promised me he would charge 3000 rupees through this main season , again for double on B&B.

Coral Sands was about 6000 rupees , double on B&B.

Mama's was also charging 3000 double on B&B

So, they are more expensive than the guest houses which are scattered along the other beach, but right on the spot for snorkelling.

Coral Sands is the best of those. ..Coral Rock I think the best value.

Mama's I've used lots of times for the restaurant but I consider the rooms fair value. They also have a family apartment which is quite big, fantastic beach, reef and sea views.

Coral Sands I wouldn't recommend until they have a complete over haul.

Best for the snorkelling.

If you walk into the sea right in front of the Coral Sands, parts of the reef come within 15 feet or so of the beqach with wide sandy gullies going out between parts of the reef. All around the reef there, there's a very good variety of colourfish and the occasional turtle swimming aroiund.

Thats where I consider to be the best snorkelling area.

Although opposite the Coral Sands is the easiest place to enter the water for snorkelling all of these places are within about 150 metres of that spot.

If you want turtles. I can't promise they are going to be there but if you walk to the southern end of the beach, in front of the Coral Gardens hotel, you'll see a small sort of concrete jetty running across the sand. Step over that and you'll be where the end of the reef runs right into the beach. Between the jetty and the small rocky point there, you'll see sandy gullies running out into the reef. Walk out , to about waist or chest depth and wait and watch. Sooner or later, you'll see a few turtles come in to feed from the rocks. There's a particular very light green weed which they like . If you find it, they'll feed from your hands.

We're talking big turtles here, probably about 5 feet long.

That all sounds a bit complicated but I hope you can unravel it.

Rod.

Magaluf, Spain
Level Contributor
297 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling End Of The Beach

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for replying. I am slightly confused now. I didn't realise the beach was that long.

So what sort of area is best to look at to stay then? Although we do want to snorkel we would quite like to be too far from everything else.

Are the coral hotels (coral rock and lanka super coral) in the best sort of area to be quite central?

Is Blue note not quite central then? And the curry bowl (is that miles from everything)

Me, I am quite happy to look for somethig when i get there but the friends I am travelling with want something booked for 2 weeks, i'm just worried if we do that we risk being in not such a great place.

Thanks again to everyone for helping out.

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling End Of The Beach

Hi,

Depending on what you and your friends want to pay, I'd suggest that you persuade them to book for a couple of nights in either the Coral Rock or Coral Sands , if you want to be central for the best snorkelling area or at the Narigama end of Hikkaduwa if you want cheaper guest houses and a more back packer feel.

The layout of the beaches in Hikkaduwa,, In the town centre you have the fishing harbour, walking south from that there's a stretch, about 400 metres , with no beach.

Then you have the Coral reef protected beach which I'd estimate as being about 3/4 mile long.

Then there's a small bay which is about 300 metres and the sea comes right into the adjacent properties, no beach as such.

Then the biggest main beach begins . It's wide, clean and runs for a long way out of town and away to the south. Along this stretch quite a few small guest houses small hotels and a few bars and restaurants tucked away in the palms over hanging the beach.

About 1 mile ( estimate again ) is Narigama with a collection of guest houses etc, more or less on the beach.

I like to stay on the reef beach because I love just walking out of the hotel in the morning , snorkel on and into the sea and over the reef.

Where I described as the best snorkelling area, you have the beach ioutside your door on one side of the hotel and a good selection of small restaurants, shops and bars,etc, running along the road at the front all the way out to Narigama.

So from anywhere along that road, The Galle Road, you not far from whatever you want.

It's mainly, if you want to snorkle, do you want to get a tuk tuk ( or walk a mile ) from Narigama to the reef beach or do you want it within a few feet of your hotel .

Rod.

Magaluf, Spain
Level Contributor
297 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling End Of The Beach

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Does anyone have a contact e mail for the Coral Rock Hotel or know if I can book it over the internet. The only website I can find that you can book on is giving a price of $140. I am currently in spain and cannot get to my bank to do a bank transfer and it would be handy if I could book it by credit card.

Thanks

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkelling End Of The Beach

Hi,

The business card I got from Coral Rock Hotel has both email address and website.

coralrock@sltnet.lk

www.corlrockhotel.com

The website does not work, so I wonder whether the email is working.

Tel: +94 91 2277021

Fax: +94 91 2277521

I was quoted LKR 2,250 for a double non AC room with breakfast in mid January.

Hans

Magaluf, Spain
Level Contributor
297 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkelling End Of The Beach

Hi,

We have booked a couple of nights at the coral rock hotel.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

As for getting from there from the. Should we try and arrange someone to pick us up or just get a taxi when we get to the airport?

Only 5 days to go!!!! I can't wait!

Beatster

9. Re: Snorkelling End Of The Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Hikkaduwa
Recent Conversations