We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach hut type accommodation on Hikkaduwa beach

Which Hikkaduwa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
132 posts
264 reviews
Save Topic
Beach hut type accommodation on Hikkaduwa beach

I understand that Hikkaduwa is a pretty beach which has life but is not full of loud, drunken Europeans. If that's the case then ideally what I'm looking for there is like a beach hut, but upmarket - clean and comfortable with a proper bathroom - somewhere that has character rather than being just any hotel / B&B and looks like it belongs to the pretty beach - somewhere I can relax with a sea view, but can easily walk out onto the beach from, maybe with gardens - not too expensive but not too basic either.

Any one got any recommendations? (Looking on Trip Advisor, Hotel Blue Note looks like it may be nearest to what I'm looking for). I'll be staying there first week in April.

Thanks.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach hut type accommodation on Hikkaduwa beach

"Beach hut" "Pretty Beach" "maybe with gardens" ... I still think you should be looking at the beach cabanas which are more easily found at Tangalle .. did you take a look at places like Palm Paradise Cabanas? That suits your needs perfectly, but if you are definite on Hikkaduwa, (although there are not beach hut type places there as such) you could take a look at one of the sea facing rooms at Hotel Moonbeam.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g304134-d9682…

The place I like now, which is cheaper, but might not be quite upmarket enough for you, is Seethani Restaurant/Guesthouse at the Narigama end of Hikkaduwa beach

flickr.com/photos/…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293961-i8983-k4…

At Hikkaduwa it might be worth you just booking one night and then seeing what else is on offer. You often get better prices by walking in at the time and there are always plenty of places available around there.

Sue

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
132 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach hut type accommodation on Hikkaduwa beach

Thanks again Sue. Someone said that Tangalle was more isolated and that there would be more life on Hikkaduwa (not discos etc but ordinary people, bars, restaurants etc). I had found what looked to be lovely beach huts - Sandy Cabanas - on Tangalle but then got side-tracked, thinking that it may be just me and a few beach dogs and not much more for a week. You seem to know lots of places - what do you think about Tangalle being too isolated? If there's life there, then my mind's made up!

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
132 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach hut type accommodation on Hikkaduwa beach

Thanks again and forgot to say that I lie the look of Seethani (read some more reviews of it too) - when I say 'upmarket' I only mean clean rooms, clean sheets and towels, no cockroaches - clean and comfortable (I've done with my backpacking days!) and the Seethani looks perfect.

So my only decision now is Tangalle or Hikkaduwa!

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach hut type accommodation on Hikkaduwa beach

Ha! I feel I need to get this answer right! I don't know Sandy Cabanas so I can't tell you if that one is isolated or not. Tangalle's main beach front for me has enough life to keep me happy, although Hikkaduwa is definitely considerably more lively than Tangalle, so it depends just how lively you like it ... I am happy with a few quiet bars, a beautiful beach and generally more locals than other westerners, so Tangalle fits the bill, but I like Hikkaduwa a lot too. I don't think you would be unhappy with either place. Why not split your time between them? They are sufficiently different to warrant two separate bases.

Seethani by the way is an excellent choice for Hikkaduwa. Get a beachfront room if you want to be well away from any noise from the road, although I forget the road is there once I am on the beach anyway.

Have fun!

Sue

Edited: 19 March 2011, 18:52
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
132 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach hut type accommodation on Hikkaduwa beach

Sorry - didn't mean to put the pressure on! Thanks for all your advice - maybe you're right - I shoud go for a bit longer and spend time at both places. Your description of Tangalle does sound more like 'me' though, (but then that lovely Seethani and room No 16 ......) I'm going to sleep on it and do what my intuition tells me tomorrow. Thanks for all your advice.

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
132 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach hut type accommodation on Hikkaduwa beach

Thanks for all your advice. Just got back from Tangalle - amazing! Loved it so much I stayed for all of my holiday (only 9 days) and didn't want to leave! Ever! Sandy's was a lovely place to stay too - I had the best sea view in the world from my cabana, and the family who run the place are really lovely.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach hut type accommodation on Hikkaduwa beach

Lovely to hear that the holiday .. and Tangalle was such a success for you. Thanks for the feedback!

Sue

8. Re: Beach hut type accommodation on Hikkaduwa beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about Hikkaduwa