We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
hikkaduwa sri lanka currency and transfers

hi all..

we are travelling from the uk in a few weeks to hikkaduwa and was wondering what currency is best to take...every body seems to quote in dollars..is it best to change from sterling to rupees at airport or at hotel or use atm??

also we have not yet booked our transfer to hikkaduwa..we was thinking of just getting at taxi from the airport or would it be best to book from uk...we have so far been priced for transfers at $80 each way...

sorry again I don't know why we keep getting quotes in $..

please help as we going soon ...lol

thanks

steve and donna

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hikkaduwa sri lanka currency and transfers

Just bring GBP. Hotels and drivers/guides quote in USD, but usually prefer payment in LKR.

You will get the lowest rates at hotels. ATMs depend on how much your bank/card issuer charges you for withdrawals.

USD 80 (approx. LKR 10,400) is a fair quote. Counters at the airport will charge about the same amount.

Hans

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hikkaduwa sri lanka currency and transfers

apparently we are only allowed to bring a small amount of lkr in to sri lanka ...would it be best to change some sterling at the airport? and then the rest , as and when we need it at the hotel??

thanks steve and donna

Cradley Heath, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hikkaduwa sri lanka currency and transfers

Hans - when you say lowest rate, do you mean the best rate?

Sorry for being dense, can't help it sometimes !!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hikkaduwa sri lanka currency and transfers

Change at the airport, but as Hans says you I'll get the lowest/worst rate at hotels, so you should avoid changing GBP at your hotel. Don't bother getting LKR in the UK, the exchange at Columbo airport s always open and you'll get a better rate

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hikkaduwa sri lanka currency and transfers

lol...we live in cradley heath and I getting comment on my holiday to sri lanka...sorry had to say it lol

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hikkaduwa sri lanka currency and transfers

thanks lynamc...it does seem that we need to change most of our money at the airport from sterling to sri Lankan ruppess...

and ideas on transfers from airport t hikkaduwa??????????

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hikkaduwa sri lanka currency and transfers

when you say lowest rate, do you mean the best rate?

-----------------------------------------------------------

No, I mean worst rate.

Hans

scotland
Level Contributor
135 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hikkaduwa sri lanka currency and transfers

The airport rates aren't that great so I'd recommend changing a small amount of GBP then using ATMs. If you have a Nationwide account (UK) the charges aren't too excessive and rates way better than the airport or hotels (roughly 15-20 rps better so about 10%). The only thing to be aware of is that some ATMs limit you to 40000rps / day. As Hans says around 10,500 rp is a reasonable quote though on your return you can get cheaper going direct (8000-9000 would be fair).

London, United...
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hikkaduwa sri lanka currency and transfers

Not only at Airport you can change your GBP at some banks in Sri Lanka, you will have to take your passport with you,

Regards

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hikkaduwa sri lanka currency and transfers

Be very careful using your ATM card. Most UK banks charge 4 - 5% on each and every debit card transaction and is *by far* the single most expensive way of getting foreign currency. E.g. my Bank charges 2% "Non sterling cash fee" and a 2.75% "Exchange rate adjustment". They are convenient but that's the only advantage.

If you have a Halifax Clarify card there's no withdrawal fee but you may get stung by interest. Another alternative is one of the pre-paid Mastercards like FairFX or CaxtonFX. Both of these charge for withdrawals but not 4.75%.

By far the best way is to use cash but the disadvantage is of course security.

Get answers to your questions about Hikkaduwa