We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkelling hikkaduwa

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
snorkelling hikkaduwa

I am staying in kalutara in feb, but will spend at least 1 day snorkelling at hikkaduwa, Should I bring my own snorkel or can you hire them reasonably, Also while I am snorkelling is there anywhere to leave clothes etc, I presume for a small fee, adam

Dive Seenigama Dive Lanka
Boat Tours, Water Sports, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling
Trekwings
Scuba & Snorkeling, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,847 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkelling hikkaduwa

Hi Adam,

Some places have them for hire yes, generally same places also offer dives. Hopefully some also allow safes/lockers or similar to leave your clothes; otherwise the alternative is to buy a pool pass (something like Rs 250-300) at a beach hotel there, that gives you access to their changing rooms and lockers. And their pool of course ;-)

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkelling hikkaduwa

thanks

Hannover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkelling hikkaduwa

Don't expect to much for in snorkelling. Its not Maldives, Water sometimes look grey from sand, depends on wind direction, waves and water flow.

Edited: 19 December 2013, 05:19
Mentioned in this post
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,847 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkelling hikkaduwa

Yes but in February should be fine most days; decide before going based on the sea at Bentota. Outside Southwest coast peak season, hence April-December, indeed both snorkel and glassbottom boats at Hikka tend to be close to useless for the reasons given.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Bentota
Bentota
Galle District, Sri Lanka
5. Re: snorkelling hikkaduwa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 18:05
Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
432 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkelling hikkaduwa

We will be in Hikkaduwa in mid February (staying at Citrus). Can we snorkel straight from the beach, and if so, where is the best place to go?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkelling hikkaduwa

You can snorkel direct from the beach, but you have to go a bit north - past Chaaya Tranz.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,847 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkelling hikkaduwa

Yes you can but have to walk about 800 m north from Citrus. Good beach for that starts at Chaaya Tranz hotel.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: snorkelling hikkaduwa

I find the area just in front to Coral Sands also good. Not where the fishing boats are parked but a little to the right handside.

Snorkeling equipment can be rented through any of the hotels in the area and yes Feb the water will be clear and nice.

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
432 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: snorkelling hikkaduwa

Excellent - thanks guys. How far out is the reef - and how shallow? Do we have to wait for a higher tide before we can go out over the reef (I can remember this in Egypt - at times it was just so shallow that you wouldn't have been able to snorkel without grazing your knees on the coral!) I'm not expecting it to be like Sharm for the aquatic life, but hoping to see something interesting......

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Get answers to your questions about Hikkaduwa