We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Widely variable cost of whalewatching trips from Hikkaduwa

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
373 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Widely variable cost of whalewatching trips from Hikkaduwa

We are in Hikkaduwa now, planning to go whalewatching one day soon. Prices we've been quoted for 2 people, transport + whalewatching, range from 10,200Rs to 21,000Rs. At least one of these quotes (but not the lowest) was to travel by tuk tuk (too far to be comfortable I guess!) but they all claimed to be with one of the main advertised providers (& yes, I realise this may not turn out to be correct!) What main pitfalls should we be looking out for?

One other option we considered was to get one way transport to Mirissa, with or without boat tickets, and then make our own way back after also spending the afternoon in Mirissa. I guess that should be easy enough? By train or bus?

Hannover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Widely variable cost of whalewatching trips from Hikkaduwa

Why not contact the whale watching boat people per their web side and make a reservation.

Travel on day before by bus/train to Mirissa, spend one afternoon/evening there and enter next morning the ship.

You could find same whale watching ships in TA

Edited: 14 February 2014, 05:38
Yatiyana, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Widely variable cost of whalewatching trips from Hikkaduwa

Take the bus & go to mirissa in the evening. Next day morning go for whale watching. In mirissa Rs 6000 per one person include breakfast. "Blue Whale" is one of a best whale watching tour service in Mirissa. contact them. their office is at Udupila Junction, when you going from Hikkaduwa its on left side.

after whales watching come back to Hikkaduwa by bus

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
373 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Widely variable cost of whalewatching trips from Hikkaduwa

I can't understand the 10,200 Rs price for 2 people. Seems too cheap if the whale trip is Rs 5-6000 per person. Local tuk tuk driver offered us Rs2000 there & back, + Rs5000 each for the whale watching (didn't specify which outfit). Is there a big variability between the suppliers, or are they all much the same?

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,655 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Widely variable cost of whalewatching trips from Hikkaduwa

hi Sara,

Whale Watching prices vary, i have paid from 3500Rps to 6000Rps, and yes, the quality of the boat varies, and the quality of the food/snacks they give you on the boat varies. that's about it. its the same ocean, same whales you see (they are in contact via phone with each other and call each other whenever they see a whale)

If you go through a hotel, you end up paying 6thousand rupees. But if you take a walk along the Mirissa beach, you see lots of "Whale Watching" promoters there, like Raja and the Whale, Mirissa Whale explorers etc, and you can get a good price from them.

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
373 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Widely variable cost of whalewatching trips from Hikkaduwa

So how about we just get a car or tuk tuk to Mirissa for around 6.30, take a walk along the harbour - will we be sure to find something?

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,655 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Widely variable cost of whalewatching trips from Hikkaduwa

My advice is go to Mirissa the day before (the beach there is lovely) walk along the beach and you will see plenty of authorized whale watching companies, check them out one by one and see the prices they offer. spend the night in Mirissa, they will come pick you up at your hotel early morning from mirissa and take you to the Harbour right to their boat.

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
373 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Widely variable cost of whalewatching trips from Hikkaduwa

We went with the 10,400 Rs for 2 people in the end. 5am pick up, minivan to Mirissa. It was a perfectly OK boat (all 10 going out looked much the same to me), decent life jackets, basic breakfast of coffee in china cups, bread & butter, sweet filled rotty, banana & bottle of water. All boats spread out & then came together when spotted something. We saw a blue whale surfacing & diving back down about 6 times, lots & lots of spinner dolphins, some right up to the boat, & even flying fish. Very happy. Journey back was very hot as van turned out to have broken A/C, so maybe that explained the cheaper price!

London
Level Contributor
164 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Widely variable cost of whalewatching trips from Hikkaduwa

Hi Sara which company did you go with? I'm just looking into whale watching at he moment as well.

Thanks

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
373 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Widely variable cost of whalewatching trips from Hikkaduwa

It was Lamini tours, office was some walk south of Citrus hotel on the land side of the road. He seemed a really nice & genuine guy - and the price was the lowest we were quoted. There are plenty of other options when you get there - no need to book ahead more than a day. If you were really brave you could get a taxi or tuk tuk to Mirissa at 5am & just walk along the harbour side - although I've no idea what the prices would be like for a walk up like this. I doubt much less than we paid.

10. Re: Widely variable cost of whalewatching trips from Hikkaduwa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2017, 18:00
Get answers to your questions about Hikkaduwa
Recent Conversations