We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Jaffna in 2010

London
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Jaffna in 2010

Does anyone know how tourists could visit Jaffna at the moment? Are there flights/private vans that operate from Colombo to Jaffna?

We hope to visit in March 2010.

Many thanks.

SV

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Jaffna in 2010

Hi,

Who can go to and fro Jaffna at the moment is still confused as the government says it's all free and easy again but stories from the ground seem to contradict this.

Try reading the tale in this page.

wsws.org/articles/2009/nov2009/slif-n28.shtml

Rod.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Jaffna in 2010

There are daily flights from Ratmalana to Jaffna, but whether foreigners can go is still unclear.

One of the airlines flying is Deccan Air Lanka (http://www.simplifly.com/).

Hans

Edited: 29 November 2009, 13:44
Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Jaffna in 2010

Even if you could get to Jaffna, I don't think that by March 2010 it could be considered a tourist desitnation. There will be little or no infrastructure for tourists, the local people trying to put back together their shattered lives.

I last went there in 1990 and the devastation then was extensive. Since that time a lot more destruction has taken place. So, unless you have a very specific reason for going there, I would politely advise that you avoid it for now and give those returning, to what is left of their homes, a bit of space.

Scotland
Level Contributor
55 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Jaffna in 2010

The A9 reopened recently so you can reach it by car. As other posters have said though, March 2010 is probably a bit too soon to visit. SLA are still clearing landmines at the moment and there's 200k displaced people in camps around the area waiting to be resettled.

Dubai
Level Contributor
529 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Jaffna in 2010

The Jaffna district has been under governmwnt control since early 90s and has been calm.There are a couple of functiong hotels(not the stasr type) in Jaffana where foreign media people used to stay. The recent fighting took place in the Vanni districts which are away from the Jaffna district.

As per BBC this morning even journalists have to get permission from the Ministry of Defence to visit Jaffna and other nortern districts.The same rule will apply to tourists.

In addtion to flights schduled bus services have alos started.I doubt whether private cars would be allowed to travel to Jaffna.

nahe Wien
Level Contributor
71 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Jaffna in 2010

My trustfull driver from SL just let me know that it is possible to go by AC bus to Jaffna, for 2500,- Rupies.

Do you know whether cars can be rented in Jaffna?

Thank you.

Robert

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Jaffna in 2010

AFAIK foreigners still need clearance from Ministry of Defence to go to Jaffna.

Hans

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Jaffna in 2010

Is LKR 2500 for return?

Semi luxury non AC buses charge LKR 550/one way Colombo-Jaffna. AC buses are usually double of non AC buses.

Hans

nahe Wien
Level Contributor
71 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Jaffna in 2010

My friend told me it was 2500,- rupies one way with an AC bus. Have done some internet-research myself now and found this:

- standard bus CMB-Jaffna: 368,-/semi luxury bus 550,-:

colombopage.com/archive_091/Nov1257951882RA.…

- super luxury bus (AC, TV, Video): 1800,- :

www.sundayobserver.lk/2010/01/03/new50.asp and

…blogspot.com/2010/01/lakehouse-bus-service-… (incl. tel. nr. for bookings)

I will let you know, I plan to go end of January ...

Robert

Edited: 16 January 2010, 18:02
Somwhere
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Jaffna in 2010

Yes there is a bus service that goes to Jaffna now. I'm pretty sure tourists are allowed there now because a lot of Sri Lankan expatriates with foreign passports are making the trip without any troubles. However (you probably already know this) the north is really not a tourist place at all. It has been devastated by decades of war. I guess the trip through the Vanni would be quite a sobering experience, as well as Jaffna peninsula itself. But at least it is opening up and this is a good thing. It is a part of the country that has been off limits for many Sri Lankans as well.

Check out a recent trip made there:

indi.ca/2010/01/the-ruins-of-kilinochchi/

http://indi.ca/2010/01/impressions-of-jaffna/

Edited: 19 January 2010, 13:58