We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mermaid Hotel and Club Kalutara

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mermaid Hotel and Club Kalutara

We are visiting this hotel in July, and have a 22 year old Daughter with us, she wants to know what there is to do at night either in the resort or nearby. Also is it possible to do a day trip to Colombo by train from Kalutara, if not by train, what is the best option.

What are the best buys for my Daughter in Sri Lanka

Thanks everso much

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mermaid Hotel and Club Kalutara

Hi Paul

Ok, entertainment for your daughter, well, most if not all beach resort hotels in Sri Lanka are of a fairly low key type, that is maybe a Karaoke bar, local bands ect, not the type a 22 year old may expect in Spain for example!

Kalutara as a resort would be mainly this type of entertainmnet too.

Colombo on the other hand, well this is the life and soul of the country, with numerous nightclubs, discos ect, but you have to remember that this is around 40 minutes drive away via cab!

Day trip via train, yes, can be done, and a great experience too!! it has to be said, not like our trains here in UK mind, but fun anyway, ask at hotel for train timetables.

Best buys for your daughter?, well lots of shopping malls in and around Colombo, so why not get a cab up there and make a day of it, lots in way of fashion to keep her happy i am sure.

Hope this helps

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mermaid Hotel and Club Kalutara

Hi Kruger Man,

We stayed at the Mermaid in February and loved it! :o) The hotel is very nice - lovely gardens and pool, good food and friendly staff.

The hotel has an activity club next door which has a gym, squash courts, badminton, boules, aqua aerobics, water volleyball... The animation team are always trying to round up volunteers. There is also a spa too although I never tried it I heard the massages were good.

Evening entertainment was very limited. Most nights they had something on from a DJ to Kandy Dancers to magicians. Probably not exciting for a 22 year old but nice to sit and watch (we're only late 20's ourself but we like relaxing holidays and sitting in the bar drinking)

Check out my review for pics of the hotel.

Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mermaid Hotel and Club Kalutara

Hi Paul,

As the others explained here nothing much to do a 22 year old girl in the night other than the karoke etc. But try to avoid going outside the hotel during the night time.

Yes trains is possible to colombo. But you may go to at least the kalutara north railway station which is few kilometers away.Also there are enough of A/C buses. Withing 1 hour you could come to colombo.

Mostly in colmbo you can buy lots of clothes for your daughter. Compared to other countries its much cheaper. You could go to ODEL at townhall or House of Fashion in bambalapitiya.

Come back to me if you need any further details.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
4. Re: Mermaid Hotel and Club Kalutara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 01:16
Get answers to your questions about Kalutara