We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budhist festival.

Which Kalutara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Budhist festival.

I know I read about the religious festival late April somewhere but now I can't find the damn page. Can anyone tell me when it begins and when will alcohol not be served.

Also is anyone going to Royal Palms next week?

Mokey

UK
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Budhist festival.

Thanks for that

Planning to be there in 2008 don't suppose anyone has their moon charts out for that yet do they?

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,447 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Budhist festival.

Chris

Full Moon dates for that period are as follows:

July 18th 2008

August 16th 2008

At your service.

Dave

England
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Budhist festival.

Hi Boopy, you will recognise me too, my hair is shades of plums and spikey on top, hubby got ginger hair.

See you next week

Mokey

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Budhist festival.

Hi Mokey,

The kandy Perahara is normally (Dalada Perahera) on july month which is "Esala" month.Thats how we called the july month in Sinhala. The normal practice is it ends with Esala poya which falls on 28th July this year. So i am not quite sure the exact dates but it should be around 20th July to 28th July.But i don't think it will be on the later part of the August anyway.

Nishantha

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Budhist festival.

The Esala Poya day has to be corrected as 29th July.

Nishantha

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Budhist festival.

Hi Nishantha,

When I posted the dates earlier, I was given the info by a couple of friends who live in Kandy and are involved with tourism in the city.

You've said I'm wrong. Thats fair enough but to double check. I've just searched the internet .

Try looking at,

reddottours.com/Information/News/TheEsalaPer…

or

http://www.srilankatourism.org/lang/en/traveller/events~d.php?i=38

or

http://www.whatsonwhen.com/events/event.asp?/events/~18311.jml

or

www.istc.org/sisp/index.htm…

If the dates I gave were wrong, then so are all the main tourist organisations of Sri Lanka, Including the Ceylon Tourist Board.

Rod.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,447 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Budhist festival.

Nishantha

I do have to agree with Rod here, and the dates he gave are in actual fact are correct!!

Regards

Dave

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Budhist festival.

Hi again,

Nishantha is right about the actual Esala poya day falling on the 29th July.

The 28th of April is actually the Nikini Poya and for some reason, the powers that be, in this case the head monk of the Dalada Maligawa, Temple of the Tooth, has decided on the 18th to 28th of August for the Perahera.

I've tried to fathom out all the rules regarding when celebrations should be held in Lanka but it's extremely complex. If most Sri Lankans don't understand the system, then we foreigners have no chance at all.

The only thing I can figure out is that the 28th July , as well as being Esala Poya is also a sunday, which also , brings into effect adjustments to days in lieu worked, etc.

Again, I'd recommend , anyone that can possibly get to Kandy during those days to see the festival, should go, it's one you'd never forget.

Rod.

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Budhist festival.

Hi Rod & Dave,

Yes i think according to the Tourist board upcoming events its in August this year. The normal practice is to celebrate in July.According to them the dates are as follows.

18th August to 22nd August - Kumbal Festival

23rd August to 27th August-Randoli Festival

27th of August, 2007- Grand Festival

Apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Nishantha

20. Re: Budhist festival.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 12:21
Get answers to your questions about Kalutara
Recent Conversations