We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temperature & Humidity

Dunstable, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Temperature & Humidity

My daughter who is travelling with us to Kalutara has been told by someone that the temperature and humidity will be unbearable when we go on July 30th for 2 weeks and we will not be able to go outside of the hotel? We usually do our travels at the height of seasons, one holiday being Egypt in August. I know it will be hot and humid as I had looked into this before I booked it, but can someone please reasure my daughter on the climate for that time of year? For the evenings would we need a cardigan of sorts or are the evenings rather sultry?

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Temperature & Humidity

Hi Sushi,

Sri Lanka is hot and humid. Not necessarly in July, but similar all year around,.

But to say you won't be able to go out of the hotel is rubbish. Yes it gets hot and sticky but you're almost on the equater there, it's boud to be.

Wearing the right clothing helps. Choose loose fitting, cotton and linen , natural fibres.

Evenings are still warm but not uncomfortable.

You'll probably take a couple of days to get a bit adjusted to the temp. and humidity then you'll wonder what you were worried about.

Rod.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temperature & Humidity

Hi there....

Someone has told your daughter the wrong info!, it will NOT be unbearably hot or hmid so that she is not able to leave the hotel.

It will of course be quite hot, around 30 to 32 degrees daytime, and around 26 to 28 nightime, and yes quite humid too, but there will a be quite a stiff breeze too, so that will cool things down too.

She will not need NOT need any warm clothing at Kalutara at all, but may do should you decide to go on a tour that takes in the hill country.

Hope this helps...

Regards

Dave

Dunstable, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Temperature & Humidity

Thank you for the responses which will undoubtedly put my daughters mind at rest so she can look forward to her holiday and might even believe Mum in future!

Leeds
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temperature & Humidity

I would tell your daughter that she is very lucky being taken to such a far flung and wonderful place! all we ever got was two weeks in France....

Dunstable, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Temperature & Humidity

My daughter is nearly 19 and had the chance to go away on a girly holiday this year but because she enjoyed a holiday in Egypt with us in 2007 on a Nile Cruise seeing all the temples and enjoyed it so much she said she wouldn't miss the opportunity of another fantastic trip with a completely differnt culture and looks forward to more temples but especially elephants. I must add that she is only an apprentice but has saved hard and paid her holiday in full with no moans and groans. We will pay her trip costs as she has saved so hard and deserves it - I am just happy that she wants to come on holiday with Mum & Dad still!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temperature & Humidity

What they all said..........

Of course it will be hot and it will be humid but going out is no problem. I often visit in July and it is OK. You do need fans or a/c in your room but you would anywhere hot.

Evenings will be very warm and sultry - you could do with something to cover your arms but only to keep the mozzies off. People do say some daft things.

7. Re: Temperature & Humidity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2009, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Kalutara