We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

handmade suits

somerset
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
handmade suits

Is there anywhere near Kalutara to have handmade suits made to measure and if so, what prices?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,792 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: handmade suits

Hi there,

Yep - for a town of this size at least 3-4 tailors and a similar number of fabric shops or even market stalls. Some shops combine the tailoring and a (sometimes limited) supply of fabric, others do tailoring only but will specificy for you how many yards/inches of fabric they need for one suit.

Price is around Rs 7,000 for one jacket and trousers with 'standard fabric' (polyester or cotton based), wool will be a bit more expensive. Of this only Rs 1,000 is the tailors fee, the rest is the fabric. Prices are from this year March so relatively up-to-date.

Count for at least 4-5 days for the overall process and 3 visits:

a) First day, for taking sizes and ordering and picking the fabric if from same shop. (Or extra visit to another shop.)

b) Day 4: first fit and deciding on small corrections.

c) Day 5: final fit, delivery.

The times can be speeded up but at an extra cost.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

somerset
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: handmade suits

thanks for quick reply, sounds as if we may be successful and find somewhere to make a unique suit for my husband to wear to his son's wedding in Sept.

Cheers

Bernie and Jill

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: handmade suits

Sorry for not responding sooner. We were in Kalutara back in April and I wanted some shirts made up. I asked the tuk tuk driver to take us to the best tailor in town and he recommended on a few miles away in Bentota.

The tailor was called Ayesha and actually they're at Aluthgama, but I had half a dozen shirts made up and my wife had a suit made, in four days to a very high standard. Take a photo with you of what you want made.

Okay, so the Tuk Tuk driver gets a back-hander, that's how the world goes round, but having checked a few tailors in Kalutara, it was worth the extra few miles.

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: handmade suits

I think Bob has hit he nail on the head, make sure you find a good tailor you can trust. Sri Lanka is not Hong Kong or Singapore and when I was living there my attempts to get things made ended up in very poor quality garments that I could not wear - either the tailoring was poor or the materials available were synthetic and uncomfortable to wear. Places like Odels have Armani and Hugo Boss but they are Rs 100,000 plus - that's £600 in real money!

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: handmade suits

For the record, I had half a dozen shirts made, mostly in cotton and one in linen. They came to about sixteen quid each, but I concede I need a LOT of fabric!

My wife's suit, in lightweight wool worsted, fully lined, was about £130.

Not as cheap as some, but excellent quality, you get what you pay for, and I'd happily go back.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,603 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: handmade suits

Hi Bob

130 English pounds for a tailored ladies suit seems like a powerful lot of money to me. Maybe I'm just spoilt with having suits made in Asia - Vietnam & Bali in particular. All beautifully made, fit well, great fabric and last forever.

Bring your wife to south east asia and encourage her to go for it.

Travelkat

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: handmade suits

In the past I've had clothes made for me in Goa, Bangkok, Hua Hin, Phuket and Hong Kong.

I agree that the prices and quality vary, and prices in Thailand seem to be most sompetitive, but there's not much competition in Sri Lanka to force the prices down.

And the missus is pleased with the quality and fit of her suit, so who am I to complain.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,792 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: handmade suits

Yes, and don't forget that

"Price is around Rs 7,000 for one jacket and trousers with 'standard fabric'"

and that's really NOT more than what they quoted me in Vietnam or Bali...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

9. Re: handmade suits

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Kalutara
Recent Conversations