We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ID for traveling around

scotland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
ID for traveling around

Hi I understand that you may get stopped at checkpoints in sri lanka is a british photo driving liscence acceptable id or do you need to carry your pasport all the time? Are there any other forms of id that are ok as i dont want to carry my passport all the time.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ID for traveling around

Hi there...

It is advisable to carry some sort of ID while travelling around, but as a tourist you are unlikely to be stopped and asked for it, maybe get a photo copy of your passport, that is usally enough ID there...

Regards

Dave

scotland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ID for traveling around

Thanks dave for your help

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,749 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ID for traveling around

Hi Dave

I don't mean to sound smart, but if you're travelling around, surely you would be carrying your passport with you (securely on your person somewhere). Do you suggest that you leave your passport somewhere else?

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ID for traveling around

Hi,

Many people check into a, hotel then go on a trip for a few days.

leaving the passport safely tucked away in the hotel.

Mine is usually stowed at the bottom of my back pack.

I've only been asked for ID once and I produced my photo driving licence which was accepted .

Rod.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ID for traveling around

Hi Travlekat...

Ok, let me maybe put it another way, the reply was aimed at people who have already checked into thier chosen hotels, and then go off for a day trip/mini tour.

Obviously if you are only doing a tour of Sri Lanka you will not have a permanent base so of course you will have your passport with you.

The reason i have suggested a photo copy of the passport is this, when doung a mini tour and checking into a hotel/guest house for the night, you are required by Sri Lankan law to provide a passport number.

The photo copy will take care of that problem and act as ID on the road, AND leaving the real thing where it is safe and secure locked in safe at thier hotels.

Regards

Dave

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,749 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ID for traveling around

Thanks Dave.

Yes, that makes sense. My mind boggled at the thought that people might leave their passports in a left luggage locker or something.

We usually do carry photocopies also and keep them close to hand in case ID is required, rather than expose our passorts.

Travelkat

7. Re: ID for traveling around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Kalutara