We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vaccinations

romford
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
vaccinations

hi all, we are going to sri lanka in july and was just wondering if we need to take malaria tablets and any other vaccinations as we have had mixed advice . thanks

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,587 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vaccinations

Hi

There are a number of vaccinations recommended for Sri Lanka, although none are compulsory. These are typhoid, polio, diphtheria, tetanus, TB and hepatitis A.

Whether you choose to take malaria tablets will depend on the area of Sri Lanka that you are staying in. Most of the country is malaria free, but there is a slight risk in the cultural triangle, ie, Sigiriya, Habarana, Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa, Dambulla, and in the low lying national parks such as Yala or Minneriya etc. If you are staying in any of these areas overnight, then you might want to consider anti malarials. Personally, I don't, and choose to keep myself liberally smeared with a repellent containing deet and also wear light long-sleeved clothes in the evenings and in the early mornings. As there are other diseases spread by mosquitoes such as dengue fever, I prefer to guard against bites altogether .. and malaria tablets would not offer any protection against dengue carrying mosquitoes for instance.

Sue

Mentioned in this post
Sigiriya
Sigiriya
Central Province, Sri Lanka
Habarana
Habarana
North Central Province, Sri Lanka
Anuradhapura
Anuradhapura
North Central Province, Sri Lanka
Polonnaruwa
Polonnaruwa
1,666 Reviews
Polonnaruwa, Sri Lanka
Dambulla
Dambulla
Central Province, Sri Lanka
Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vaccinations

Hi there...

Yep, as Sue has said, check with your local GP or Practice Nurse to see what "jabs" you need, they are free on NHS..

Regards

Dave

Hmm, now i have to get mine checked again :-)

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
21,985 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vaccinations

Hi

Traveltom & I took a good quality mozzie spray with deet when we travelled through Sri Lanka recently and only needed it once. Heard that malaria tablets can make you sick, so din't want to go down that road while on holidays.

Have a great trip.

Travelkat

Mentioned in this post
UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vaccinations

We are going to Sri Lanka in August 2010. We have had a lot of vaccinations as travelled to Kenya last year and many that we had for that will last us, however there are some things we have not had and since they are not 'highly recommended' or compulsory for Sri Lanka, we are not having them. We are unsure about Malaria tabs - they are quite an expense if you don't need them but it's our Honeymoon so we are thinking its better to be safe than sorry?

Mentioned in this post
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,259 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vaccinations

Hi there,

See Sue's response under #1: are you also visiting malaria-prone areas in Lanka or not? Only when you visit them you are in the dilemma that she mentions....

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vaccinations

Hi Emma,

Where will you be staying overnight in Sri Lanka? Only Cultural Triangle and the southern plains Yala and Uda Walawe) have a slight risk of malaria.

Hans

Mentioned in this post
Colchester
Level Contributor
899 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vaccinations

Have a look at this from the Scottish NHS:

fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-%28eas…

Sussex UK
Level Contributor
83 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vaccinations

Basically the further north and east you're going the more important malaria tablets are. I would suggest you take them anyway just to be safe but make sure you cover up in the evenings and sleep under a net too. We used Malarone which was really good (no side effects) but a little pricey.

England
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vaccinations

I know that we only have to start the malarone a couple of days before so do we only need to use it for the days we are on our tour and a couple days after. We expect to be in Kalutara for the rest of the time.

Mentioned in this post
Kalutara
Kalutara
Western Province, Sri Lanka
St Austell
Level Contributor
3,587 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: vaccinations

Hi

You need to take advice from your GP surgery/pharmacy on the amount of time you will be taking the tablets, which will depend upon the particular one you are using. When we took them, it meant starting some days before our arrival in Sri Lanka and up to a week or so after the end of our tour .. so we were still taking them when back in the UK. Can't comment on Malarone as this wasn't the one we used (ours was a combination of chloroquine and proguanil). You won't just be taking them for the days you are in the malaria-prone areas, that's for sure.

How long are you intending to be in any area considered at risk? You might prefer to take alternative preventative treatment if you are only passing through quickly, as you will still need to ensure you prevent bites of any kind, to minimise risk of dengue etc. and malaria tablets won't help you with that. Having used malaria tablets on our first couple of trips, we quickly decided we'd take this approach rather than rely on tablets in future.

Sue

Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Kalutara
Recent Conversations