We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM machines kalutara and or any basic shops etc

Aberdare
Level Contributor
243 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
ATM machines kalutara and or any basic shops etc

I am staying at the tangering beach hotel and was wondering how far it would be to the nearest ATM.

I have looked at the ATM finder and there is one at

COMMERCIAL BANK

302, Galle Road,

Kalutara South

how far is this form my hotel and how much would it cost to get there by a tuk tuk and then back to hotel.

also are there any shops/stores in kalutara where basic supplies can be picked up etc.

i assume that there are no shops near the beach hotels etc.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,740 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM machines kalutara and or any basic shops etc

Hi there,

Close to the hotel indeed only a few tourist's shops and quite basic local bazaar shops; still handy for things like dry snacks.

There's two more ATMs at least in the same area, Kalutara-South: Sampath Bank and HSBC. Always nice to have a backup.

Hotel is in Kalutara-North, about 200 m from main road. The cheap option is to walk to main road and take a bus, costing a few rupees only. Tuktuk would be something like 5 km; 'target' price for haggling would be something like Rs 150 but they'll start higher.

Town has plenty of shops, though mainly aimed at local needs. At least one supermarket though, Keell's or Food City, and that has lots of more Western-style imported stuff.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM machines kalutara and or any basic shops etc

Did you mix up HSBC for HNB (Hatton National Bank)?

Now there is also Cargills' Food City in Kalutara North.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,740 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM machines kalutara and or any basic shops etc

Wow, another Food City and closer to the hotels.

Good addition about HNB. Pretty sure I saw either a HSBC or Standard Chartered ATM in K-south spring 2009, but you're right currently it's not there according to their websites; only Negombo-Kandy-Galle outside Colombo. Snapshots change even in Lanka...

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Aberdare
Level Contributor
243 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM machines kalutara and or any basic shops etc

is the tangerine beach hotel close then to north kalutara (how close is close).

I enjoy walking when I am holidays - is kalutara north within easy walking distance.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,740 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM machines kalutara and or any basic shops etc

Yes, it's in the Kalutara North region. As said, about 200 m walk from hotel exit to Galle Road where also the shops are. However it's quite a stretched-out area (which has 3 hotels aligned next to each other), so you still might have to walk upto 500 meters along the Galle Road to be at Food city. Ask around...

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM machines kalutara and or any basic shops etc

Hi there.....

Tangerine in my opinion not a comfortable walk to/from Kalutara North, especially as it will be hot and very humid, some nice general shops just outside of TBH's gates, and one or two bars restaurants too..

Regards

Dave

Edited: 04 August 2010, 16:14
Aberdare
Level Contributor
243 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM machines kalutara and or any basic shops etc

cheers for your continued help

8. Re: ATM machines kalutara and or any basic shops etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2011, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Kalutara
Recent Conversations