We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

festival

grimsby
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
festival

Hi,

Yipppppeeeeee I've booked to go to Sri Lanka in August.

Can anyone please give me dates for the esala festival held in August in Kandy.

Are the best nights to stay at the weekends and does anyone know any budget accommadation?

Thanks all

Ellie

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: festival

Hi Ellie,

According to http://www.daladamaligawa.org/ the monks at Dalada Maligawa have not yet decided the dates for 2009.

The festival usually starts around 10 days before Nikini Poya Day which falls on 5 August this year, so the festival should start around 26 July.

The best days are the last 6 days.

Most (if not all) accommodation about double their prices for the festival, the cheapest places will be among the guesthouses in this thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g304138-i9712-k2…

Hans

2. Re: festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2009, 00:42
grimsby
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: festival

Hi can you tell me how long the feastival lasts for??

we arrive in Sri Lanka on the 13th of august.

Thanks

grimsby
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: festival

Also is it advisible to take anti malaria tablets???

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: festival

Hi,

The last evening perahera is usually the day before Nikini Poya Day and a day perahera on Nikini Poya Day, which this year falls on 5 August. 13 August is too late.

No need for malaria pills for Kandy.

fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/srilanka.htm

Hans

Atherton, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: festival

Hi Ellie,

Have just got back from Kandy about a week ago - have

Sri Lankan friend there. I always stay at a beaut

B & B about 7 minute walk from the centre of Kandy via Kandy Lake, right next door to Hotel Suisse if you have a Kandy map.

Highly recommend this place:

Mrs. Padmini,

Salon Dil,

Cyril Jayasundara Mawatha,

26/5, Sandaraja Mawatha,

Kandy. Phone 081-2203186.

I have stayed there four times now, and it is spotless. Charges had gone up when I stayed there in February 2009 (like everything else in the world).

I was charged 1,500 rupees per room per night with attached bathroom and toilet. Breakfast was optional and 250 rupees for eggs, fresh fruit,toast,

james, pot of tea or coffee.

Anything else I can assist with, please feel free to contact me. Regards - Geoff, Australia.

Negombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: festival

Hi Ellie

Esala Perahara will start aroung 25th or 26th.

The best parts of the perahara is is on the last 4 days.

You will get a good weekend.

The pricers for the rooms will be more than normal days, when it is time for the Perahara..

Shehan

8. Re: festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2009, 10:37
Belgium, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: festival

hi ellie.........

kandy perahera will be held usually at august ,10 days prior to full moon that mean Ending at 5th of august (on full moon day) . but organizing authorities not yet announced exactly date of commence .queens hotel is a most ideal location to stay during the festival time and even to watch the perahera..

most of the big hotel they are charging 20 us$ supplement fro perehera season.

Thanks you,

ind

grimsby
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: festival

Thanks guys,

I'm going to have to get my bum in gare, I have been busy doing other things and my holiday took a back seat.

So full steam ahead now getting sorted thank you!!!!