We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kandy esala perehera

Which Kandy hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kandy esala perehera

Just posted this question on an older thread, so thought I would try here. Please could anyone give me some tips about watching the perehera. I will be there for one night only on the 30th July. I gather this will be during the Kumbala perehera(not sure what that is). Are there parades every night? What sort of time should I get there? Any tips on where to try and stand? Are there any hotel bars/restaurants with balconies where I could stand if I am not actually a booked in guest? Any advice please!

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kandy esala perehera

copied over from your other post,...Rod.

Hi,

Yes you can see a festival parade when you're there and it's well worth seeing.

The route fills up during the day with crowds of people from all over lining the pavements with their family groups.

You can just wander in and squeeze in among them. Probably the best way to watch it as you get all the local atmosphere.. probably offerings to share their food as well.

Or, if you walk around the route a couple of hours before the parade, say from about 6 to 7 pm, you'll be ofrfered seats to watch by the local touts.

Check the place they are offering.. Some will be seats in local shops or cafes and very restricted views but I paye d2000 rupees to sit on a school balcony, hanging right out over the street , and couldn't have imagined a better place to watch from.

Or, you can pay, probably about 5000 rupees to sit in one of the stands built just for the occasion. Best one of those , I( think is the stand built almost next to the temple.

If you can get in there, do it, it's a fantastic night.

Rod.

kandy
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kandy esala perehera

you may get to see kumbal perahera on 30th .perahera starts by 730 and ends two hours later.lesser crowd at kumbal perahera time final day are the more crowded times. you can have two options

1, watch with the crowds standing on the pavement,i recommend this.but make sure to come to the spot at least two hours before scheduled time,

2, find some seating. but the pay may be bit high.

best place ,near the queens hotel at the edge of the lake. pavement near the lake bund is on elevated ground,gives a better view,get to the front of the crowd and sit on the ledge,people are quite nice they will help you out.better take a snack or two with you as its going to be a three plus hours stay,

you dont need touts to help you around, better do things yourself,

dont worry about the rain in kandy,it normally clears out by evening,

have a nice time

london
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kandy esala perehera

Brilliant. Thanks so much for these tips. I will be taking your advice. Can't wait!!

4. Re: Kandy esala perehera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2010, 06:18