We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop off on way to Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage

Which Kandy hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Stop off on way to Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage

Hi all,

I am arriving at 3am into Colombo airport & thought i would try to stop off at Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage on the way to our hotel in Kandy. I have just looked at their website and it appears they do not open until 8.30am (apparently it will take 2 hours from Colombo airport). Does anyone know if this is the case? Or if there is any other possible early morning sights to stop off at as we will be far too early for check-in?

Many thanks,

Lauren

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stop off on way to Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage

Hi Lauren

It is debatable whether you will be in the mood for any serious exploration having arrived at 3am after a long flight, so I won't suggest anything too adventurous!

It really is too early to see or do anything. Is there no way you could arrange an early check in or at least drop your luggage at your Kandy hotel? That would be my choice. It will be dark until around 6am anyway. Better to get a quick nap in your driver's car/bus and get the journey over and done with. You could then have some breakfast at your hotel or down in Kandy town itself (try Siri Ramya on Dalada Veediya in the centre of town for excellent food which is also very cheap) followed by a visit the Temple of the Tooth in time for the morning pooja at around 10am.

The elephant orphanage is only around an hour's drive from Kandy anyway, and there's little point getting there before 10am when the elephants are led down to the river to bathe. Missing that view would be missing the best bit of a visit there.

Sue

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stop off on way to Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage

HI,

Personally, as soon as I land , I'm up for anything. I'd quite happily go touring straight away and do , usually check into Negombo then go wandering around , chatting to old friends etc,, while my wife relaxes or even gets a few hours sleep.

So, some are and some are not ready for plunging in straight away.

See how you feel on arrival.

There is one suggestion that may save you money and thats Sue's suggestion for the Temple of the Tooth in Kandy.

I havn't tested this, but I was told by a guy that lives in Kandy and visits the temple every morning to make his offering of rice , that the ticket office doesn't open until 8 AM.

But, anyone that turns up before that time, can just walk in.

That would easily fill the time til your hotel is ready for you or you're ready for breakfast in town somewhere and would save you the temple entry costs if you planned on visiting it later.

Although, having said all that, if it was my first trip, I'd probably go to the Elephant Orphanage and wait there. It's a lovely area to stroll along the lane by the river side.

Rod.

3. Re: Stop off on way to Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2010, 07:16