We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kandy Perahera Festival 2010

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Kandy Perahera Festival 2010

Can anyone confirm an email received today from a travel company, which, amongst other things, advises that the Kandy Perahera Festival is from 15th to 24th August 2010.

It also gives some background information as:

The Kandy Perahera Festival is held over a period of 10 days during July/August. The exact dates are calculated by the Temple of Authorities according to the lunar movements, and are sometimes not known until April. Originally the festival was held following the harvest period, as a Thanksgiving to Lord Buddah and other deities for helping the people of Sri Lanka to harvest with no problems. Over the years the festival became more religious, and over the course of the festival, with each passing day, the level and beauty of the Perahera (Pageant) increases, the final night being the most beautiful. During the festival, many elephants and hundreds of dancers parade the streets of Kandy. The replica of the Tooth Relic is also taken in procession on top of the leading elephant who is decorated and illuminated heavily, and accompanied by other elephants. They walk on a white cloth laid in respect. In addition to the elephants and dancers, other attractions will be whip crackers, flag bearers, torch bearers and stilt walkers. Thousands of people - local and tourists, will line the streets to witness this colourful Kandy Perahera Festival.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kandy Perahera Festival 2010

Hi,

The dates are correct.

www.sridaladamaligawa.lk/htmle/news/news1.php

Hans

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kandy Perahera Festival 2010

Cheers Hans,

We've been invited to a (Colombo) wedding on the 14th, so I think it's fate that we should finally get to the Perahera at the same time

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kandy Perahera Festival 2010

Can anyone advise whether any one particular day is better than the others?

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kandy Perahera Festival 2010

Hi Maiden,

The festival parades are made up of goups from all over. Mainly from temples but also other groups.

Not all can be there for the ten days of the festival but they want to be there at the end so each day a few more groups will join up until them last night , which is the biggest parade.

So, the later you can see the parades the better but it's a great spectacle all through.

Rod.

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kandy Perahera Festival 2010

Thanks Rod. I'd heard that different groups/villages are on different days and suspected it builds to a finale. We'll try and go more than once to get a balanced view.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kandy Perahera Festival 2010

Hi, I will be in Kandy from 1st - 7th Aug 2010, so disappointed I didn't know the dates of Perahera before I booked. Just wondering will there be anything happening in Kandy during this week in preparation for the festval?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kandy Perahera Festival 2010

You will see the elephants arriving before it starts. They are brought from all over the country and they stay in the grounds of the Dalada Maligawa (Temple of the Tooth.) By trhe time the Perahera starts there are at least 50 elephants dotted around all corners of the Temple grounds and it is amazing to wander round and see them all. Some of the keepers invite you to come and get close (for a small fee) but others warn you not to get too near. I suppose they know their animals and which ones are unpredictable. My friend described how one ran amok one evening as it was being got ready for the parade and it caused chaos.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kandy Perahera Festival 2010

Thanks very much, nice to know we'll see something of the festival even if it is just the preparation! We are planning to visit the temple so maybe we'll leave it to near the end to ensure we see as many elephants as we can. Thanks again for your reply, I'm even more disappointed about the dates I've booked now after Reading all about the parades!

London
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Kandy Perahera Festival 2010

Hello,

I am going to be in Sri Lanka from Aug 10th to 29th, I am travelling around and not sure of plans yet would like to be in Kandy to see a parade at least. Can anyone advise whether it's best to book accommodation now? As I have heard that accommodation is scarce at this time, or can I still keep it flexible?

Thanks

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kandy Perahera Festival 2010

Hi,

Welcome to TripAdvisor.

It's a good idea to book accommodation for the Perahera season early. Be aware that hotels charge extra in the season.

Hans