We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which of these to choose from Kandy hotels

Surat India
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
which of these to choose from Kandy hotels

Dear all,

I am confused by the opposite views by the members about these hotels for our stay in November.

1. Kandy view hotel,

2. Senani hotel &

3. Thilanka Hotel

Can you draw out the positive and negatives of these hotels? What to ask fo getting good rooms-we require 15 rooms.

Thanks a ton.

Wadduwa, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: which of these to choose from Kandy hotels

hi,

I have never stayed on senani and thilanka but have had horrible exeperience @ kandy view. So you get DE 's advises to check the best out from senani or thilanka. i can advice you to not to mess up your whole holiday with kandiyan view, actually They ruined my holiday last year stay @ kandy. So try other ones.

frank

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which of these to choose from Kandy hotels

Kandy View is a budget hotel and is good value for what it offers. It can't be compared with more expensive places like the Thilanka. It's not my favourite either, but it is perfectly adequate and is a bargain for what is offered at that price. I'd personally go for something like Nature Walk which is a good compromise between comfort and price. However, you are looking for 15 rooms and there aren't many places in that category able to offer anything like that amount.

How important is the price as compared with the level of facilities required? If Kandy View is able to offer that many rooms, it is surely your cheapest bet.

Sue

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which of these to choose from Kandy hotels

frank or chama,

DEs (as well as other TA members) have their favourite hotels, but don't expect DEs to know every single hotel in Kandy (and Sri Lanka).

Hans

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which of these to choose from Kandy hotels

Yes, few Guest Houses with fifteen rooms. An alternative to the Thilanka would be Hill Top (has 75 rooms.) Both Thilanka and Hill Top are very central to Kandy town and offer good mid-priced accommodation. Hill Top does get some noise from the road and railway below but nothing too bad. It is my personal favourite.

David.

Surat India
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which of these to choose from Kandy hotels

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply Sussie and all.

We want decent rooms, good beds for a good sleep, clean toilets, AC in working condition. Vegetarian food should be available and reasonably tasty -Only 1 day/night stay.

Good view and swimming pool are not the priorities.

Mid range would do. Central location will be advantageous.

I will read now for these other recommendations. What about Serene Garden? Hans had probably recommended, I read in his trip report. I will have to again visit his report.

Expecting more for clearing our confusion.

Thanks again.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which of these to choose from Kandy hotels

Serene Garden could be a good choice for you. I have not stayed there but I have heard very positive things about it. Have a look at DM51's recommendation of Hill Top as that looked lovely when we saw it, aswell as being very close to the centre of town.

Kandy View is out I think. They don't have enough rooms anyway. I don't remember there being more than about 10 in the whole hotel...

Hotel Topaz might be another moderately priced hotel you could look at.

reddottours.com/121/hotel-topaz-accomodation…

Sue

De Kwakel
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: which of these to choose from Kandy hotels

I stayed in several places over the years in Kandy. As well guesthouses (which have <15 rooms) as hotels.

Also I have seen different reviews of hotels. P.e Thilanka had 2 different types of rooms. The rooms in the new wing are very good and have a good view.

Personally I like this place and is good for travelling with a larger group. You can easily walk from here to Kandy lake (temple of the tooth and Kandy Dance). Behind this hotel is Udawattakele (small part of rainforest) so you might have monkeys on the balcony.

Suisse hotel On the other side of the lake I can't recommend. You can be lucky and have a few good rooms, but can't be sure...

Queens Hotel I have only seen (also from the inside) but never really stayed.

Casamara was my hotel, when I was a tourguide. Can't recommend this place either!

I never steyed in Senani and in Kandy view.

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: which of these to choose from Kandy hotels

Hi,

I often reccommend the Kandy View,, as a budget hotel. I like the rooms, the friendly, helpful staff, the roof top restaurant, etc.and the tree top level views.

It doesn't compare with star class hotels and doesn't pretend to but in my opinion, is a very good value low cost hotel.

I was there a few weeks ago and there was a complete new floor being added on the top.

The owner told me that when the work was finished, probably about the end of May, there would be 6 new rooms above the restaurant. All with completely new furniture, bathrooms, air-con, etc.

With the new rooms and the money being spent elsewhere I think it;'s worth anyone looking for budget accommodation, to take a look.

Rod.

Surat India
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which of these to choose from Kandy hotels

Thanks Rod, DMS and all.

We have narrowed down to [new wing] Thilanka, Senani and Kandy view in that order. Hill top is little more costly, it seems. Serene garden and Topaz are next on the list. Let's ty what is available. If any new comment, please let's have it.

10. Re: which of these to choose from Kandy hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2010, 03:16
Get answers to your questions about Kandy