We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far from Hantane to Kandy town centre?

South Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
How far from Hantane to Kandy town centre?

We are looking at rental places in Hantane....how far is it from Hantane to Kandy town centre? Thanks.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,710 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far from Hantane to Kandy town centre?

Hi there,

Depends on whether it's lower or upper Hantana ;-( Count on 7-8 km on average; about 30 mins TO centre outside of rush hour and 40-45 mins FROM centre, due to uphill vs. downhill driving...

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Hantana
Hantana
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
South Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far from Hantane to Kandy town centre?

Thanks :-) will look for something closer to Kandy to save on travel time.

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How far from Hantane to Kandy town centre?

Hantane would be only about 2KM from the city. I have visited Kandy and stayed in a guest house in Hantane. It only took us 10 min the most to get to the town.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,710 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far from Hantane to Kandy town centre?

Hi Elmo,

Good correction _depending on the transport_. With a tuktuk there are some shortcuts possible. The distance/route I mentioned is following the main road and that REALLY takes longer...

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colchester
Level Contributor
899 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far from Hantane to Kandy town centre?

I take it that you are going to reside in Kandy for some time, in which case I would certainly not rule out Hantanne. Basically, the Hantanne Road starts from the Kandy General Hospital and continues right up into the tea estates. So, depending on where you are on the road, you could be a few few minutes or much further away from the town centre. Certainly easier coming into Kandy from this side than from say Peradeniya Road or Katugastota, which can be very busy in rush hours. But, let's face it, Kandy is a traffic nightmare these days, especially around the start and finish of school. Another plus point for Hantanne would be the very good views but that is true of other parts too. Have you tried looking in the Anniewatte area? I lived there for three years and it is a very pleasant residential part of Kandy and quite close to the centre. Try Riverdale Road, the other side of the Anniewatte Tunnel for starters.

Good luck.

David.

Edited: 16 June 2010, 11:29
Mentioned in this post
Katugastota
Katugastota
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
68 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far from Hantane to Kandy town centre?

Hi

No place is far fom Kandy..there are adequate transport from anywhere.

There are many three wheelers that will take you anywhere for a small sum. Going on one of these is an experience itself. You will witness so much of the Kandy and the outskirts. Isnit this part of your holiday to see as much of Kandy and see the daily life of the Kandayans and its culture.

Btw your currency will stretch you very far in Sri Lanka so enjoy your holiday.

I stayed in Hatana and the host were kind enough to drive me to town and back wherever we wished. Its about 8minutes d

Happy holidays

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: How far from Hantane to Kandy town centre?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2010, 06:16