We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Kandy to Colombo and then down to Galle

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Kandy to Colombo and then down to Galle

Hi,

I am travelling at the end of March with my 2 children aged 9 and 12. I would like to catch the train from Kandy to Colombo and then head down to Galle by train ( all in one day) . Can anyone recommend this? I know most people travel by car but my youngest gets car sick. How long will this take? And do i just purchase tickets at station on the day?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, cheers

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,740 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Kandy to Colombo and then down to Galle

Hi there,

Yes it works but only one direct train all-the-way; on other times you'd need to transfer, Maradana is a better place for this than Colombo Fort (more empty seats in the Galle bound train). Purchase all-the-way ticket in Kandy, yes. Timetable etc. at railway.gov.lk. In Kandy usually seats available as long as you are on the platform 20-30 mins before departure.

Current expectation is that late March the train will run all the way to Galle yes, but could still change; there is an upgrade in the pipeline for the Hikkaduwa-Galle part but starting was postponed several times, now until 'mid April' though the team doing this finished Galle-Matara last week already.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Kandy to Colombo and then down to Galle

Great, thanks for the info.

I feel that travelling by train would be a great way to see Sri Lanka!

I will check the website as you mentioned. Do you know how long the travel might be? I am allowing the whole day, early start from Kandy and hope to get to our accommodation in Galle by night fall. Thanks again

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Kandy to Colombo and then down to Galle

Hi,

The railway website can be a bit tricky to manoeuvre.

The only direct train departs from Kandy at 05:00 and arrives at Galle at 11:18.

The next connection departs from Kandy at 06:30 and arrives at Colombo Fort at 09:47. This connection you will have to change at Colombo Fort as the southbound train starts from Colombo Fort and departs at 10:30 and arrives at Galle at 13:02.

There is also a connection that departs at 13:02 from Peradeniya (about 7 km outside Kandy). This train arrives at Maradana at 15:32. The southbound train (Ruhunu Kumari) departs from Maradana at 15:40 and arrives at Galle at 18:07.

Hans

Edited: 19 February 2011, 09:01
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Kandy to Colombo and then down to Galle

Thanks again :)

Sevenoaks, United...
Level Contributor
259 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Kandy to Colombo and then down to Galle

can anyone advise how much is a first class ticket Kandy - Galle on the direct 0500 train ?

how far can it be booked in advance and how ???

thank you

david

Antarctica
Level Contributor
510 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Kandy to Colombo and then down to Galle

Hi,

There isn't a first class on that train. There are 2nd and 2rd class compartments but none of them are bookable.

You may want to check the 6.30 train (ICE) which has bookable 1st class and bookable 2nd class compartments. But this only goes as far as Colombo and you will have to have a transfer from there.

Edited: 22 March 2011, 16:08
West Yorks
Level Contributor
917 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Kandy to Colombo and then down to Galle

Yes, I tried to purchase a ticket the day before travel from Kandy for the 5 am train but was told they only went on sale at 4 am on the day of travel.

There were however plenty of seats available - along with all the weary commuters.

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Kandy to Colombo and then down to Galle

The 6.30 Inter City Train is all bookable in advance at Kandy Station. First class seats are limited and if your son is prone to travel sickness, I would avoid it. It is the last carriage and the ride is very bouncy. The only real difference is a large picture window in First Class. Seats are basically the same. This train would give you some recovery time at Fort Station before getting the Galle connection. On the ICE train from Kandy try to get seats on the right side, back to engine for the best views. Galle train not bookable and could be a bit of a scrum to get seats. Sea side would be best for the views, of course - depends on whether you have sharp elbows!

David

9. Re: Train from Kandy to Colombo and then down to Galle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 17:18