We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help us for Kandy and Nuwara Eliya tour

Which Kandy hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Please help us for Kandy and Nuwara Eliya tour

Hello,

We have only 2 days i.e.

Dec 27 morning departure from Colombo-Kandy;

Dec 28th morning departing from Kandy-Nuwara Eliya

Dec 29th morning departure from Nuwara Eliya-Hikkaduwa.

Wish to arrive Hikkaduwa on Dec 29th by 2-3 pm. We have 2 small kids (4 and 6 years) with us.

Kindly help us in suggesting what all (must see) we should cover in Kandy and Nuwara Eliya areas please.

Thank you.

JN

Negambo
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help us for Kandy and Nuwara Eliya tour

Hi JN,

Good thing about this plan is that in very short period of time, you will be covering lot of things in Sri Lanka so you will feel that you have seen a lot.

Let me run down the possible times that it may take for you to run from one location to another on the road.

Colombo-Kandy - 3 hrs

Kandy-Nuwara eliya - max 1 1/2 hrs

Nuwara Eliya-Hikkaduwa - 5-6 hrs

since you are travelling with your kids i thought its good for you to know. One more thing, most of these roads are in good condition. but don;t expect singapore standard and driving condition in SL. these rides tend to be little bit tiring. so keep that in mind.

What you can cover

Kandy - Temple of tooth (a must), Peradeniya Botanical Garden,

Nuwara Eliya - Checkout few waterfalls on the way and i suggest you relax a bit given your busy schedule. anyway Nuwara eliya is more of scenary area

Hikkaduwa - Beach :) and you can also take a glass bottom boat and see the corels, see if the hotel can help you with water sports etc. but again given your travel schedule, you can just chill at the beach. Since you are travelling with kids, a turtle hatchery could also be a nice stop for you.

this is what comes to my mind, may be others can help you as well...

Have fun ...

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help us for Kandy and Nuwara Eliya tour

If you have a car and driver it makes sense to stop at the Elephant Orphanage on your way to Kandy, especially as you have young children. This is about forty five minutes before you get to Kandy and not far off the main road. You could also have lunch near by and then on to Kandy. The Botanical Gardens are just as you enter Kandy, so to avoid going back on yourselves you could stop off there first. Plenty of space for the kids to run about but no swings or roundabouts. Your children might be interested in the colonies of flying foxes that roost in the gardens.

Temple of the Tooth in Kandy is a must for adults but not sure what young children will make of it. They may though like to go up to the huge white Buddha statue that dominates the town and provides wonderful views of the lake. There is a boat that operates on the lake but probably might be too late for that after everything else. Remember that three hours of your day will be taken up with travelling from Colombo.

On the way to Nuwara Eliya you can stop off at a tea factory. I'd recommend the Blue Tea Factory (unmissable) as it has the best toilet facilities - perhaps a consideration with your young ones! Also good refreshments here and you can tour the factory. In Nuwara Eliya itself there is not that much to see but there are pony rides, sadly on rather scrawny ponies. I certainly would not ride them but infants don't weigh much so not such a matter of conscience, I suppose. Perhaps think of NE as a place of rest after your very full day and a half and before you journey to the beach.

Have fun.

David.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help us for Kandy and Nuwara Eliya tour

Again Sarath is quite optimistic with travel times.

Kandy-Nuwara Eliya: even with the widening and stretching of the road you can't cover 80 km in 1.5 hours. I would count on 2-2.5 hours plus stops for photos and tea factory on the way.

Nuwara Eliya-Hikkaduwa: I usually take approx. 6 hours to get from Nuwara Eliya to Aluthgama. Then you can add minimum 45 mins-1 hours to get to Hikkaduwa.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help us for Kandy and Nuwara Eliya tour

Hi,

You can easily go kandy and nuwaraeliya with in 2 days

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help us for Kandy and Nuwara Eliya tour

Sarath, David and Hans: Thanks a ton. Much appreciated.

Any recommendation for a value for money, clean and safe accommodation at Kandy for family please?

Regards

JN

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help us for Kandy and Nuwara Eliya tour

Hunas Falls, Tree of Life and Randholee are affordable but good and clean hotels. I think they are 3-star.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,212 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help us for Kandy and Nuwara Eliya tour

I'd opt for Hilltop, Thilanka or Serene Gardens. All relatively central and 2-3 stars. At least Tree of Life and Hunas Falls, great as they are, have a location WAY out of (upto 1 hour ride) town...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

8. Re: Please help us for Kandy and Nuwara Eliya tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2012, 05:20