We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursions from Kandy

Dubai
6 posts
Save Topic
Excursions from Kandy

Hey there,

I´m planning to go to Kandy soon I would like to do two excursions:

1 day to Dambulla (spend the morning) + Sigiriya (spend the afternoon) and back to Kandy

1 day hiking to Knuckles Mountain and back to Kandy

Do you know the best way to do this? maybe hire a car+driver for the first day? any local agency for the hiking? any email contact to arrange it before going there?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Kandy
Kandy
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
Dambulla
Dambulla
Central Province, Sri Lanka
Sigiriya
Sigiriya
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,564 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excursions from Kandy

Hi there,

Easy to arrange locally, just ask around. Plan the first day such that you start climbing Sigiriya after 2-3 PM because midday it's simply too hot; which means a late return to Kandy, 8 PM / after dark! Maybe better swap: leave Kandy 8 AM, start climb 10:30 AM and be back 1:30 PM whilst avoiding the midday heat at the top. Then lunch and the 90 mins Dambulla visit, and back in Kandy at 6-7 PM.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Sigiriya
Sigiriya
Kandy
Kandy
Dambulla
Dambulla
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excursions from Kandy

Yes, the best will be hiring a car with driver/guide.

You can also do Dambulla/Sigiriya by bus. I would prefer going to Sigiriya in the morning (before 10 am) to avoid the climb in the mid day heat.

Hans

Mentioned in this post
Dambulla
Dambulla
Sigiriya
Sigiriya
Dubai
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Excursions from Kandy

Thank you very much! I´ll do that, morning Sigiriya, afternoon Dambulla.

For the hiking to Knuckles Mountain any ideas? I would like to arrange this before getting just in case.

Mentioned in this post
Sigiriya
Sigiriya
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excursions from Kandy

Googling 'hiking Knuckles Range' brings up quite a few names.

Hans

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
72 posts
500 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excursions from Kandy

I read somewhere that Dec-Jan is raining season for Knuckles Range... is that true?

Josh

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excursions from Kandy

Weather in Knuckles Range is unpredictable and could transform within few minutes. A thick mist could shroud the mountains in a mater of minutes. Rain could breeze in any day.

December to February is a good period to enjoy trekking at Knuckles. Possibility of rain is moderate.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,564 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excursions from Kandy

Well yes you have quite some risks for that, but same holds true for all mountains on the east side of Kandy. So it means checking with the planned guides on whether the trek is recommended, either due to upcoming rains or due to recent rains which might have made paths very slippery or even have caused some mudslides...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Kandy
Kandy
8. Re: Excursions from Kandy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2014, 05:17