We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kandy Perahera

London, United...
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Kandy Perahera

Hi DE's

I wonder whether any DE had a chance to watch Perahera this year yet? I am aware that route was extended this year and wonder whether any changes to performance compare to previous years?

Thanks

1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Kandy Perahera

hey,

dont know about the last year but was there day before yesterday, negotiated good two seats being sold at 15000 for 3000. the first two hours were amazing but then it became a drag and too long once it started repeating from where on you need to be a religious

buddhist to enjoy it.

but overall a wonderful event. just try to find a balcony of restaurant with food and toilet.

cheers

Farnham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kandy Perahera

Hi

just back from the last night of the procession with 60+ decorated elephants. Came past me from 20.45 to about midnight. Most of the seating was temporary cramped plastic chairs in converted shop fronts. Tickets for the last night were $us 60, and readily available. Make sure you have access to a toilet.

It was a great spectacle

Regards

France
Level Contributor
48 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kandy Perahera

We were there for the 6th night and had understood the procession would start at 7pm. We had arrived late afternoon to try to find standing places, but every space was taken so we ended up negotiating for the plastic chairs option (but had no access to restaurant or toilet!). The procession eventually started around 8.30 pm, and although we feld lucky to witness such an occasion, its true that we did find it very long (and this was not the last night!)and also the drums are very loud. We ended up eating in KFC at midnight - the only place serving food at that time! I would definitely not advise visiting the Tooth Temple on Perahera days - we paid a fortune to get in and then most of it was closed because of the Perahera. Also a lot of restaurants seemed to be close and no alcohol is served during the festivities. We were pleased that we were staying some way out of Kandy and were able to retreat to the peace and quiet of the hills.

4. Re: Kandy Perahera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Kandy