We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kandy or Nuwara Eliya

kiev
2 posts
Save Topic
Kandy or Nuwara Eliya

Hi everybody!

We are (a young couple) first time in SL and have 2 nights/days for visiting Kandy or Nuwara Eliya in December. I think we should choose one of them as visit both places will be too exhausting. We'll start from Tangalle and at the end we have a flight from Colombo in the middle of day. The priority is to see beautiful landscapes and flora. Which place would be better to choose taking into acount transport (busses or taxi) and season? Is it possible to visit both places within such period?

Thanx in advance for advices!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,818 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kandy or Nuwara Eliya

Hi there,

Correct to pick one. Kandy or Ella would be our doubt, not the gloomy Eliya.

Pro of Ella: impressive vistas, high-grown tea plantations, treks, close enough to Hakgala cold-tropics botanical garden

Pro of Kandy: hot-tropics botanical garden (far bigger than Hakgala), some vistas but not on Ella-scale, cultural heart of the island.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kandy or Nuwara Eliya

Hello ErikdR,

Even though I will have more time (about 2 weeks end of December/Jan), I am hesitating between the two. I heard great things about both Ell ansd Eliya. Your preference is clear. What's the downside to Eliya?

I also read about the great train ride to Ella. Not sure if this was from Eliya or elsewhere

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,818 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kandy or Nuwara Eliya

Hi there,

Eliya is cold and on more than 50% of the days cloudy, often even low hanging fog; this is because it's in a valley almost circumvented by mountains. It's great for a few hours stroll but IMHO not really for staying.

The best train ride of the country is Nanu Oya (Eliya) - Haputale- Ella - Badulla.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kandy or Nuwara Eliya

I would choose Kandy over Elliya. with all hot-topic Erik has mentioned plus option of doing Pinnawala.

Regards

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kandy or Nuwara Eliya

Hi Ilya

My vote goes to Ella over Kandy or Nuwara Eliya which is really cold.

Ella is more like a relaxed holiday place, no hassles, laid back beautiful scenery walks around, a tea factory nearby if you want to do a tour . . . Ella rock to climb and Little Adam's Peak to amble up. Take the train to get there and you'll be happy. [ Learn some strategies for getting a seat if you are travelling weekends or holidays though!] Ella is a small village and therefore not so many places to eat as Kandy.

Kandy has the Temple of the tooth - a couple of hours for those really interested - the Botanic Gardens for those who come from cold climes and therefore the plants are really different, a dance performance by those who have been doing the same dance for years, crowded streets and shops and a full on tourist focus that's not so nice if you are a target.

In case anyone wants to challenge me, I hasten to add that those comments came from a well travelled, young English couple I met on the train to Ella as they returned there after two days in Kandy. My opinion is similar although I do visit Kandy regularly for various reasons - friends etc

Regards

Archi

Edited: 07 October 2013, 13:14
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,132 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kandy or Nuwara Eliya

If what you want is "beautiful landscapes" then it's Ella.

Lot of people will recommend Kandy as it's a cultural hub with major temples etc. It's a good place to be based at. But for vistas and landscape Ella is a winner. Try incorporate the above mentioned train ride into it

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kandy or Nuwara Eliya

Thanks guys, very clear

kiev
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kandy or Nuwara Eliya

Thanks to everybody for your advices!

I think I'l' choose Kandy for visit as it is a 'cultural hub' and is better for futher transfer to airport in Colombo.

Wаrm wishes,

Edited: 08 October 2013, 20:42
9. Re: Kandy or Nuwara Eliya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 05:17