We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kandy to mirissa

les_r28
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
kandy to mirissa

hi

I am trying to find out if its possible to get a direct train from Kandy to Matara, my husband and i are going to kandy in December and then all way down to mirissa for a few days and then making our way back up the coast over 3 weeks. I wanted to know if you can get a direct train and if we wanted to book it from Uk to get an observation car how can we do this, we are travelling over there in approx 2 weeks time. I have been looking on www.gic.gov.lk website and there isnt a great deal of information on there, are there any sites that shows you which line and which train you need to get on (ie express, main line etc)

many thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kandy to mirissa

Hi There,

There is train leaving early morning from Kandy to Matara is not explore train hence you can not booked from UK. it just ordinary train but you book first class seat once you are in there at one of few stations e;g Colombo-Kandy .

Regards

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,564 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kandy to mirissa

Well that train has no 1st class at all, sorry - just like all coastal line trains. However due to the departure time (something like 05:10 AM) hardly a chance of NOT getting a seat if you start at Kandy.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kandy to mirissa

The only direct train from Kandy to Matara departs Kandy at 5.10 am and arrives at Matara at 11.50 am. It does not stop at Mirissa, and seats can't be booked in advance.

Hans

Paxos, Greece
Level Contributor
131 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kandy to mirissa

Great website for Train info (worldwide!)

http://www.seat61.com/SriLanka.htm

5. Re: kandy to mirissa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2014, 05:18