We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Nuwaya Eliya/Ella - Kandy

London, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Train from Nuwaya Eliya/Ella - Kandy

Hello

I'm travelling 1st week of April from Mirissa to Kandy (breaking it up with Nuwaya Ella or Ella). I've read the scenery is amazing from the train, is this a good way to travel this leg of the journey? Struggling to find train's with observation cars, or any train schedules full stop outside the Colombo - Kandy route!

The hotel is outside Kandy, and advised nearest station is Gampola...

Many thanks :-)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,496 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Nuwaya Eliya/Ella - Kandy

Hi there,

Yes is a great way. Ella is a much better break, and then you can travel Ella to Gampola by train. See

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293961-c195051/Sri-L…

for some tips on the train stuff...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Nuwaya Eliya/Ella - Kandy

Hi Erik,

Great, many thanks!

I did check out the travel advice, but am I right that the journey from Ella - Gampola should take 6 hrs, and nuwaya 3.5?

Also do you know what kind of trains service that route? I'm ideally looking for a train with an observation car?

Thanks again!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,496 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Nuwaya Eliya/Ella - Kandy

Hi again,

Yes that's right. Slower than car due to longer route and less steep climbs/descends.

See that same train list on Seat61. The 10:57 from Ella has the observation car (and Rajadhani and Exporail).

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Nuwaya Eliya/Ella - Kandy

Hello Webby,

you could purchase first class, observatory carriage train tickets from the below websites. http://www.exporail.lk/ or http://www.rajadhani.lk/

Edited: 05 February 2014, 03:17
London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Nuwaya Eliya/Ella - Kandy

Thanks do much both. I visited the raj website yesterday, nothing showing the whole week on April, but will keep an eye on it.

Thanks again :-)

Kurunegala, Sri...
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Nuwaya Eliya/Ella - Kandy

Here the easiest way to find train in srilanka,

www.gic.gov.lk/gic/…

Expo rail have limited trips, not everyday.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Nuwaya Eliya/Ella - Kandy

Hi Webby,

According to the service providers, they'll be opening the availability for April towards the end of this month so do keep checking their websites :) Good luck

8. Re: Train from Nuwaya Eliya/Ella - Kandy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2017, 18:00
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,496 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Nuwaya Eliya/Ella - Kandy

Hi there,

Assuming you'd leave Peradeniya by 6:30 PM or so due to the usual train delays it gets quite risky. Many drivers would refuse to drive in that part of Triangle after 7-8 PM due to indeed risk of jumbos around the corner and you'd arrive Sigiriya by 9 PM. Hence unless you prebook a driver which for sure is willing to do, better don't. Also note that Peradeniya is quite a small station in terms of traffic, there'll be tuktuks waiting upon arrival of the train but no cabs - the tuktuk drivers would have to call a befriended cab for you adding to the delay.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

10. Re: Train from Nuwaya Eliya/Ella - Kandy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2017, 18:00
Get answers to your questions about Kandy