We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perahera

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Perahera

Hi everyone. I have a quick question, do I need to go to the Perahera more than one day? We are trying to plan a trip and I wanted to know is it worth seeing the Perahera two days or is one enough.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perahera

i think one day is enough.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perahera

Thank you.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perahera

You should go as close to the finish as possible.

Hans

4. Re: Perahera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 13:36
pennsylvania
Level Contributor
28 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perahera

Contrary to what others write, I'd say

1) Once is enough

2) DO NOT go to the big long parades at the end. This is a long religious festival, not designed with pure entertainment in mind. So go to one that is four days before the full moon finale.

We went to the finale and we regretted it. Here is why an earlier parade is better.

a) The crowds will be dramatically less.

b) The cost will be dramatically less (both for seats and accommodation).

c) On the final nights, once in your seat you cant move or leave (think New Years eve in time square). Both the crowds and the police street closures have you locked in place.You will be in that plastic seat for five hours. No toilet or leg stretch break is possible. Much of the parades is repetitive with each of the four temples doing repeated routines. So after about 2 hours, you will have seen it all and be be ready to go. But you cant. Your stuck. In our group of about 50, every single child (and quite a few adults) were asleep by the end).

BTW, this event is definitely worth seeing. Just not the final nights.

Edited: 23 August 2014, 12:39
Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perahera

You are so right about being too long especially for children. My family went to the Perahera on the 5th day it lasted about 2 1/2 hours. That was long enough to get the feel of the festival, even then two of my children fell asleep. It is somewhat reparative after the first 45 minutes . I am glad we got to see it, but once is enough for me.

7. Re: Perahera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 06:16