We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A tour around the Kandy area

Clontarf, Queensland
Level Contributor
155 posts
353 reviews
Save Topic
A tour around the Kandy area

I am looking for some advice for touring the Kandy area over a three day period.

My wish would be for my wife and I to leave Colombo and take in the sites on the way to Kandy, spend a couple of days there, then sights on the way to Galle, where we would make our own way up the coast to Colombo.

I know everything is possible, but should this be done with a tour company or a private driver, I also know the costs would need to cover the drivers return to Colombo.

Any advise on costs and the logistics of this would be appreciated, many thanks Steve

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,389 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A tour around the Kandy area

Hi Steve,

Depends a bit on your tastes. Highlights for many people close to/in Kandy are:

* Pinawela elephants, you can do this on your way to Kandy, dance show and Temple of Tooth in evening

* Lake, Bahirakanda Buddha statue, Tea museum and Peradeniya gardens might fill another day

* Temple Loop to the southeast is another half day

Other sights are further away, e.g. Knuckles mountains trekking, waterfalls or even Sigiriya rock and Dambulla cave temple.

It should be a private tour anyhow. Whether you arrange the driver directly or involve a tour company for that is your trade-off; directly is cheaper but company (esp. larger) has some more guarantees.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

2. Re: A tour around the Kandy area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 14:05
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
28 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A tour around the Kandy area

that was really useful~

Level Contributor
325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A tour around the Kandy area

For one way trips normally taxi companies charge Rs 65 - 74. But if you search in the internet you might get cheaper rates as well.

For round trips rates would be Rs 40-45.

5. Re: A tour around the Kandy area

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 13:07
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,389 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A tour around the Kandy area

Livia,

Please STOP copypasting promotional info, even in case it's your genuine opinion, in multiple responses. It's called SPAMming and against TA guidelines. Individual responses to people asking for it (which was NOT the case in the last two cases), preferably in the form of 'send me PM for details of a good operator', are okay. These two were reported and would disappear soon.

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

7. Re: A tour around the Kandy area

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 06:35
Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A tour around the Kandy area

We used a driver / guide who we were very happy with. He spoke very good english and was a very careful driver. We really enjoyed his company and he was very informative . We would highly recommend him.

If you are interested I would be happy to forward his name, email and phone number.

Cheers Kim

9. Re: A tour around the Kandy area

Removed on: 29 September 2014, 06:05
Edited: 29 September 2014, 06:05
Clontarf, Queensland
Level Contributor
155 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A tour around the Kandy area

Hi Grace

I really appreciate your feedback, though I have booked my tour with a guy called Rohan Fernando who's company came highly regarded through the good offices of the Trip Advisor community. Thanks once again.

Get answers to your questions about Kandy