We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Polonnaruwa to Badulla/Ella

Which Polonnaruwa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Polonnaruwa to Badulla/Ella

My brother and I wish to travel from Polonnaruwa to Badulla/Ella area.

What is the best transport option and route?

Negambo
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Polonnaruwa to Badulla/Ella

Considering the road conditions, i think its better to take the following route.

Polonnaruwa --> Dambulla --> Matale --> Kandy --> Nuwara Eliya --> Bandarawela --> Badulla/Ella

Good news is that the road is scenic so you will enjot it a lot. Bad news is that its a bit of a long drive, probably take the whole day. (possibly 6-7hours)

Please wait for some others respond as well.. I know the roads but i don't take these roads too often.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,064 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Polonnaruwa to Badulla/Ella

This route takes 8 hours at least. P'ruwa-Kandy 4 hours, Kandy-Eliya 2.5 hours with some luck and Eliya-Ella 1.5-2 hours.

The eastern route, taking the road over Mahiyangana, is km-wise a lot shorter but not in the best conditions. So better inquire with your driver whether he dares to take this one and whether he estimates to get lots of time advantage, as the speed on flat parts will be lower than the mountain road. On the other hand, that road is MOSTLY flat while the mountain roads pass a 2000 m altitude and hence have far more climbing and descending to reach Ella at its 1000m. Which itself brings some delays for the scenic route.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Polonnaruwa to Badulla/Ella

Hi,

The road from Manampitiya (just east of Polonnaruwa) to Mahiyangana is quite decent.

The direct road from Mahiyangana to Badulla is bad, but you can go from Mahiyangana to Badulla via Bibile. At the moment people from Mahiyangana area are using the route via Bibile when they go to Badulla.

This route should take approx. 6 hours and save you approx. 100 km.

Hans

Negambo
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Polonnaruwa to Badulla/Ella

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Polonnaruwa,+North+Central+Province,+Sri+Lanka&daddr=7.90605,81.12407+to:7.3828973,81.222087+to:Badulla,+Uva+Province,+Sri+Lanka&hl=en&ll=7.395153,81.101074&spn=1.487119,2.694397&sll=7.435005,81.125555&sspn=1.486981,2.694397&geocode=FbkLeQAd1xXUBCknzhY7ukT7OjF8KwOzopdJww%3BFQKjeAAd5trVBCk_ddK-qkf7OjF87f2cE8eSGQ%3BFXGncAAdx1nXBCmb_expssHkOjEWXCZU3M1R7A%3BFRKUagAdhdLUBCnZ2qZ_FmLkOjFGoirDctDThA&oq=badull&mra=dvme&mrsp=1&sz=9&via=1,2&t=h&z=9

See if this road is good... surely much shorter than others. and you can see the Dam on the way as well.

Central Victoria
Level Contributor
41 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Polonnaruwa to Badulla/Ella

Hello.

As this post is getting a little old, I thought I'd just check if it was still relevant.

We want to travel from Habarana to Elle in the first week of October this year.

The route that SarathW recommends looks like it would be a good way to go, so I wonder if one of you locals can tell us if there could be any problems with this plan at this time of year (road conditions etc.)?

Also, will it be easy to find a reliable car/driver to take us on this route in Habarana or Polonnaruwa?

And what will be the likely cost of this one way trip?

From other posts, I assume around $120?

Google maps seems to suggest it will take 3.5 hours, what do you think?

Thanks

Darren

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,064 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Polonnaruwa to Badulla/Ella

Dump Google Maps for speed calculations as it assumes 70-80 km/h. In Lanka on most roads it's half.

The eastern connection mentioned has had road repairs and is now as good as 'standard', which still means 30-40 km/h. So yes you can take it and it's a bit quicker than through Kandy-Eliya.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Central Victoria
Level Contributor
41 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Polonnaruwa to Badulla/Ella

Thank you for your fast reply Erik.

What would be the best way to book a reliable driver and car for this trip?

We will be staying in Habarana for 3 nights before leaving for Elle, so should we wait until we are there to find a local driver (perhaps by recommendation from our accommodation host), or search for one well in advance?

Also, was my estimation of probable cost accurate?

Thanks

Darren

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,064 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Polonnaruwa to Badulla/Ella

Hi again,

As the top question on private transport says, get one once you're there. For a one-way hire price is Rs 75/km, you'd have to check the distance using 'your' route on Google Maps as the standard distance finders use the Kandy route. For Habarana-Ella I would even doubt whether the Mahiyangana-Bibile route is shorter at all, for P'ruwa to Badulla (which was the original discussion) it for sure is.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

9. Re: Polonnaruwa to Badulla/Ella

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2016, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about Polonnaruwa