We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon Safaru @ Minneriya National Park

Al Khobar, Saudi...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Afternoon Safaru @ Minneriya National Park

I'll be in Polannaruwa in the morning to explore the ruins. I am planning to do a safari trip in the afternoon (July28). Any tours you can recommend? Is there any jeep pooling i can join since i am a solo backpacker.

Thanks in advance.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,943 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon Safaru @ Minneriya National Park

Hi there,

Please don't repeat questions. As told to you before: just make sure to be at the Habarana cafe where the jeeps meet amply in time, e.g. 2 PM. At 2.45-3 PM the jeeps leave with their tourists and enter the reserve(s as it could also be Kaudulla or Hurulu, depends on the latest sightings). In this timeslot until they leave you can approach drivers and tourists and see whether they are willing to pool.

There are no special tours, all jeeps offer more or less same experience.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Negombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
95 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon Safaru @ Minneriya National Park

Ohh... it's very easy. go to the Entrance of Minneriya National Park. There you can find many more jeeps at the park. If you going to arrange your jeep from the hotel you gonna stay it will bit more expensive than arrange a jeep near the entrance by having little bargain with a driver

Cheers

Krish SL

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,943 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon Safaru @ Minneriya National Park

For all other parks okay but here it's bad advice, sorry. As mentioned above: there are 3 parks sharing one herd of jumbos which moves through elephant corridors. Minneriya park entrance is about 3 km southeast of the main road (and the cafe I mentioned), Hurulu entrance is 4 km NORTHeast of it and Kaudulla a few more km in the same direction. Standing at the Minneriya gates if at that day all drivers happen to know that the herd is relocated to Kaudulla is not a very clever idea ;-). Hence my advice to go to the cafe. It's at the corner of main northeast-southwest road and the Minneriya access road.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Edited: 24 May 2014, 11:53
4. Re: Afternoon Safaru @ Minneriya National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 12:15