We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dambulla and Sigiriya in 1 day?

Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Dambulla and Sigiriya in 1 day?

We will be travelling in early July and will have about 3-4 days in the Kandy area. Also, will be with our 4 and 1 year old kiddos. Can we do Dambulla and Sigiriya in a day trip from Kandy? Any suggestions are welcomed! Thanks! Jenn

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dambulla and Sigiriya in 1 day?

Hi,

The distance from Kandy to Sigiriya is close to 100 km - 2.5 hours drive.

As it is best (temperature and sun) to climb the rock before 9 am or after 3 pm, it will mean an early start or a late return.

Hans

Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dambulla and Sigiriya in 1 day?

With the kids, we are usually early-risers. If we were up and going by 6 (our usual), could we do both? If not, which is the preference?

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,518 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dambulla and Sigiriya in 1 day?

Hi Jennifer

There's plenty of time to do Dambulla and Sigiriya in one day, but with little children it will be a long and tiring one. You must allow over 2 hours each way to drive to Dambulla from Kandy for a start. It is recommended that you climb Sigiriya either early or late in the day to avoid the heat and the crowds and most people would aim to be at Sigiriya by around 8am to begin their climb. This is something that will be hard for you to do if you are coming from Kandy.

So ... although you COULD do it in a day, I'd prefer to do it with an overnight stay in the area, which would be easier, and also fun as all the Cultural Triangle hotels have grounds which are full of wildlife and you could combine your extra time in the area with an elephant ride perhaps, at either Sigiriya or Habarana, where most of the hotels are situated. It would also give the opportunity for a cooling swim at the hotel pool in the middle of the day and a chance for the little ones to rest between visits to the various places.

Sue

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dambulla and Sigiriya in 1 day?

Yes, you can do both.

I would count on 2.5-3 hours to get up and down Sigiriya Rock. I did it last year with Sri Lankan friends including a 5 yo girl that climbed on her own in just over 2 hours.

You can easily do Dambulla Cave Temples in 1.5-2 hours.

Hans

Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dambulla and Sigiriya in 1 day?

Thanks! From the States, what is the best way to line up a driver for the trip? I don't want any protracted negotiations. We will be transferring from Colombo to Kandy and then around Kandy before flying out. Should I line up with our hotel in Colombo? Or with one of the tour groups? Thanks! Jenn

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dambulla and Sigiriya in 1 day?

I just returned to my hotel in Colombo from a day trip to Sigiriya and Dambulla. It was a long day on the road, but the scenery was great to and from. I would call that the extreme of what is possible in one day from Colombo, but not from Kandy; you should have plenty of time. By the way, awesome excursion.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,835 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dambulla and Sigiriya in 1 day?

@Jenn: do the 'booking' (not really long negotiations) with a certified tour operator. E.g. Red Dot, Diethelm, Jetwing, Walkers. They might charge a bit more but you do have lots of fallbacks in place and a formal office, not solely a roving freelancer.

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dambulla and Sigiriya in 1 day?

Just be warned - there are 700 approx steps up to the Dambulla caves so if you do it in the heat of the day, it will be taxing for the little ones and it will be worth taking water. You get great views across the valley though (you can see Sigiriya) and there are lots of monkeys in the trees to watch.

We were so concerned about the steps at Sigiryia we didn't even think about steps at the caves! I was fine (an average mid-30 year old) but it was too much for my 70 year old and her knees could face Lion Rock the following day!

9. Re: Dambulla and Sigiriya in 1 day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2010, 05:16