We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to get an aerial view of Sigiriya Rock

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
120 posts
208 reviews
Save Topic
how to get an aerial view of Sigiriya Rock

I am trying to find a way to see and photograph Sigiriya Rock by air. (Just like in all of the photographs on the web). I know that there are hot air balloons and scenic flights from Colombo, but I am looking for something that I can take locally while stayig in Sigiriya.

Are there any local helicopter tours or scenic flights?

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to get an aerial view of Sigiriya Rock

Hi there...

Depending on the time of year you are visiting, there are hot air balloon flights from nearby Dambulla..

Regards

Dave

Edited: 03 June 2012, 18:51
Mentioned in this post
Dambulla
Dambulla
Central Province, Sri Lanka
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,710 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to get an aerial view of Sigiriya Rock

Yes, and scenic flights and heli rides would have to be ordered from, and probably also paid from, Colombo. (With a small chance for Helitours allowing it from Trinco as they have a base there too). Helitours (part of the Air Force) and Air Deccan (simplyfly.com) are the main companies for this. Srilankan Air is a third one but has lots of uncertaintly about it's domestic planes and routes, so would not trust them for a charter order at this point.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
21,742 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to get an aerial view of Sigiriya Rock

Hi JPS

That would be absolutely awesome. If you manage to do that, please post your photos on the forum.

I dare you to climb it as well. All the way to the top - not just to the lions paws. I'm, not only a bit of an old wrinkly, but also deathly afraid of heights but did it a couple of years ago and it was well worth the fear and exertion. Knees didn't work terribly well for a minute or two after I reached the ground again, but you get that.

London, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to get an aerial view of Sigiriya Rock

Totally agree Travelkat - if you go you HAVE to climb to the top. Did it last year (weather damp and misty but kind of added to the atmosphere). Know what you mean about the wobbly legs! Funniest of all was there we were in our sturdy walking boots puffing and panting to the top and our guide (a fair bit older than us) fair skipped up in his flipflops!

London, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to get an aerial view of Sigiriya Rock

Totally agree Travelkat - if you go you HAVE to climb to the top. Did it last year (weather damp and misty but kind of added to the atmosphere). Know what you mean about the wobbly legs! Funniest of all was there we were in our sturdy walking boots puffing and panting to the top and our guide (a fair bit older than us) fair skipped up in his flipflops!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
21,742 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to get an aerial view of Sigiriya Rock

Good on you KK. We came across all sorts of people stumped at the lion's paws lots younger than us all red in the face puffed out and refusing to go any further.

When I sat down there and shook my head, traveltom and our guide just kept looking at me - not sayng a word, so finally grumpily I said "Oh, alright then". White knuckles and all, not looking down or up as that was definitely too scarey, I made it.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the guide skipping up in his flip flops. On one section on the way down there were a couple of blokes hanging off the outside raining hammering something into the rock wall. They had anchored themselves onto the railing with the belts from their trousers and were dangling in mid air. EEEEEOOWWW

7. Re: how to get an aerial view of Sigiriya Rock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 18:17