We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lion Rock and/or Pidurangala Rock?

Which Sigiriya hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Lion Rock and/or Pidurangala Rock?

Hi

I'm reading about attractions around Sigiriya and these two are of most interst to me right now. Does anyone have any experiences to add to what's already written? Is Lion Rock really a "must see" and so worth the $30 entrance fee?

I'm reasonably fit, slight problem with vertigo, but hate crowds.

With Pidurangala Rock do you think I wold find a guide, just for safety as there is mention of cobras?

As ever, all suggestions and advice is welcome and helps me to plan :-)))

Kashmir, India
Level Contributor
254 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lion Rock and/or Pidurangala Rock?

I chose Pidurangala Rock over Sigiriya Rock for the obvious reason that it's expensive for me. I did my best to see the Cultural Triangle so I had to find ways to save. I think the views I saw on top of Pidurangala were the same as Sigiriya because virtually I was on the same level with Sigiriya. However, I didn't see the water gardens, some wall murals and temples I think. That was fine with me. I paid 200 rupees for the entrance and had a guide just because I wanted to help the man who manned the gate. He was very helpful especially with the history of the place, similar to what I read in the guidebook. There wasn't any cobra when I was there. I read however that Pidurangala Rock is more challenging for it lacks the stairs/ steps that Sigiriya has. It took more effort for me as well but the good kind. Hope that helps.

London, United...
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lion Rock and/or Pidurangala Rock?

Hi There,

I doubt that you will find any guide near Pidurangal unless otherwise you travel with one, Regards to your vertigo , at Lion rock there is stair rails to support while you are climbing if necessary of course its bit its more higher ground looking once you reached on top.

Regards

Kashmir, India
Level Contributor
254 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lion Rock and/or Pidurangala Rock?

You can actually ask one of the guys who are at the gate to help you with the walk up. There were three of them there and I asked one for help for a small fee.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lion Rock and/or Pidurangala Rock?

Thanks for your help. What would be a suitable tip for a guide do you think? I'm happier paying a guide than an inflated entrance fee cos I'm a foreigner, sorry guys, that really does annoy me.

Sounds like I'm not gona miss that much by not going to the Lion Rock, interesting, I guess cos it's in all the guides it seems like the place to go but if the main thing is the view and that's the same but with less tourists, maybe that's the option I'll go for.

Really appreciate all your help

Happy travelling

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lion Rock and/or Pidurangala Rock?

Sigiriya is a definitely a must see historic site in Sri Lanka. When you visit the site you need to let your imagination roam. Remember that it was meant to be a magical place; an earthly paradise with gardens, ponds, fountains, pavilions, hidden passages, beautiful works of art and a palace on top of a massive 200 meter tall rock. The complex was built in less than ten years and employed hundred of thousands of people in its construction. Having spent over six years researching and writing the book "The Story of Sigiriya" I have grown to love the place.

Climbing Sigiriya isn't that hard. Just take your time if you aren't that fit. There are steps all the way to the top. Pidurangala is more challenging. You have to clamber through tight crevices and up over dangerous boulders. I am talking from experience. I fell! On a scale of 1 to 10 I would put Sigiriya at 9 and Pidurangala at about a 4.

If you want to really know about Sigiriya look for my book 'The Story of Sigiriya'. It’s now being sold in the bookshops at Sigiriya and Amazon etc. Enjoy.

6. Re: Lion Rock and/or Pidurangala Rock?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 05:17