We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth staying in Sigiriya, or travel in from Dambulla?

Which Sigiriya hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth staying in Sigiriya, or travel in from Dambulla?

There seems to be more backpacker guest houses in Dambulla, but there are sights in Sigiriya I want to see (busy day looking around all the info on TA so I have lots of ideas now!)

I have plenty of time but not much money. I stay in cheap hostels/guest houses and use local transport.

What would anyone advise here, find a place in Dambulla and take day trips to Sigiriya, or are there heap places to stay there too? (haven't found any so far but i know not all will be online)

All ideas taken onboard, thanks for anyone who can help

London, United...
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth staying in Sigiriya, or travel in from Dambulla?

Hi

Yes, Due to the transport link there are many budget accommodation in Dambulla than Sigiriya, if you are looking for budget accom then yes, staying in Dambulla and travailing to Sigiriya will better option as bus fair will be a quid or two.

Regards

Kashmir, India
Level Contributor
254 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth staying in Sigiriya, or travel in from Dambulla?

Hey. Initially I wanted to stay in Dambulla as well but found a place in Polonnaruwa due to money reasons (cheaper guesthouses I found online). However I saw that there were many places to stay in Dambulla over Polonnaruwa. What I did was took a local bus from Kandy to Dambulla then see the Temple Caves then took a bus to Sigiriya for Pidurangala Rock in one day. After a loooong day I took a bus to Polonnaruwa. Quite hectic but i didn't really have much time. Feel free to ask me or PM me. Bus is very cheaper.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth staying in Sigiriya, or travel in from Dambulla?

There are several cheap guesthouses near Sigiriya.

Hans

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth staying in Sigiriya, or travel in from Dambulla?

Would it be more convenient to day a day trip out of Kandy than to stay overnight at Dambulla? My wife and I have already booked a hotel at Kandy?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,059 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth staying in Sigiriya, or travel in from Dambulla?

Hi there,

Solely when you travel very early or late, as middle of the day is a bit too hot to walk in P'ruwa/Dambulla temple compounds (unless your soles are used to burning hot stones) and for sure to hot to climb Sigiriya which is shadeless at the top. 2+ hours travel from/to Kandy.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

6. Re: Is it worth staying in Sigiriya, or travel in from Dambulla?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Sigiriya