We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isle Colon

San Diego
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Isle Colon

How big is the actual Island? We have a large group and we want to stay in houses that are failry close together (walking distance). Is everything pretty close?

Bocas del Toro
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Isle Colon

The island is fairly large - most people live in or near town, and nothing is very far from each other there. Once away from town, things are far from each other. Bocas del Drago is 14 km away from town; Bluff Beach is 7 km from town, and there are no road joining the both. So you have to go to town to get to the other end of the island. Most house rental though are a bit out of town though. If you know where the rentals are located we can give you a better idea of how far apart the locations are.

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isle Colon

To correct the above misinformation, the three main roads of Bocas form roughly a peace sign with the junction fairly equidistant to Bocas on one leg and Bluff Beach on the other with by far the longest, upper leg heading to Drago Beach. The nicest and most plentiful rental houses are in Big Creek, close to the junction, as they are closer to the beaches. You don't have to go through Bocas from there to get to the other end of the Island, Drago and the Boquete Chanel. My friend Jennica is the leading house rental agent and her # is 507 6618 0479.

Edited: 29 April 2010, 18:12
San Diego
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isle Colon

Thanks! Does she have a website? I have found a place I like on Isla Colon. I am just having a hard time finding other houses for the rest of my group within walking distance of our place. This is really only becasue I don't have exact addresses and I am not sure how big Isla Colon is???

Bocas del Toro
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Isle Colon

I am not sure what incorrect information our esteemed Bastimentos John found in my post, but the point was to make sure you do not rent in Bocas del drago and Bluff for example. The ONE road out of bocas forks into TWO roads, and these two roads do not join. The "peace sign" is actually a "Y", and the junction is amazingly enough called....the "Y"! (igriega in spanish) So you want to be on one of them - either the one going to Drago, or the one going to Bluff. Along the road to Bluff you will find various rentals, all pretty much within walking distance from each other. On the road to Drago I am not sure it is the case.

There are no addresses in Bocas - everything is referenced in relation to the proximity of something else. Rentals at Big creek are on the road going to Bluff. Ask for a reference point such as Big Creek, Paunch, Bluff etc. All these small neighborhoods are on the ONE road to Bluff. The road to Drago has one little settlement called Colonia Santena. If rentals are there, ask them to be reference in terms of how far from either Drago or the Colonia Santena. From town it is 14km to Drago on the ONE road. From Bocas, it is 7km on the ONE road to Bluff. From Bluff Beach, there is another 7km of dirt road, where there are a few rentals.

panama
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Isle Colon

Check out www.vrbo.com for a good representation of homes for rent in Bocas. Some of the listings invove homes close to one another - you have to be a detective to find them :).

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isle Colon

Jenicas website is www.bocasvacations.com. "you have to go back through town to get to the other side, Drago"????

Bocas del Toro
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Isle Colon

Okay John, for the sake of accuracy - if you are at Drago and want to go to Bluff, you have to go back to the "Y", which essentially is the end of the town AREA. If you are at either Drago (14 km away) or at Bluff (7km away) for all intent and purposes, the "y" is town LOL

As said in my last post, but I will clarify, the intent of this diatribe was to make sure they did not rent at both end of the island since there is no way to get from one to the other besides getting back to the "y", less than a km away from the edge of town.! if i said "through" i should have said "to" or certainly "extremely nearby town"!

San Diego
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isle Colon

I feel more confused than I was to start with!!! haha!!

Bocas del Toro
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Isle Colon

see this link:

www.bocas-del-toro.org/colon-island/index.htm

10. Re: Isle Colon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2010, 06:22