We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling tours

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
snorkeling tours

We are interested in snorkeling while in Bocas in March, probably going out at least a couple times. Most tours seem to do the same itinerary: dolphin bay, coral cay, zapatillas or red frog. Do any switch the order or take you to other, less-visited spots? I've seen dolphins many times, so I would actually skip dolphin bay, I think. I've heard Hospital point recommended, but no tours seem to go there?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: snorkeling tours

Thanks, all! We're staying at Tesoro Escondido. Can't wait!!!

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: snorkeling tours

"Most tours seem to do the same itinerary: dolphin bay, coral cay, zapatillas or red frog. Do any switch the order or take you to other, less-visited spots?"

If you go with a tour, that's what you get. Tours are tours. "10:15, see the dolphins ... 10:25, head for Coral Cay ...." I you go with a tour, you're going with a number of other people who came to see the dolpins, Red Frog Beach, etc. They're not going to be persuaded to change course.

The solution is hire the water taxi for half-day or day. One of my favorite trips is to snorkel Coral Cay in the morning and eat lunch at the restaurant over the water. But, you must get to the restaurant early, before the tour taxis get there, or you won't get served until sometime in the afternoon. Another advantage of having your own water taxi. You go where you want, when you want.

Prairie Village...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: snorkeling tours

rough estimate on cost for half-day or full day water taxi? i know you said it depends on where you go, but let's just say you go to the typical places. maybe wizard beach, boca del drago, red frog beach, dolphin bay, zapatillas?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: snorkeling tours

Did you enjoy your stay at Escondido? We are thinking there or la Coralina? Suggestions? How were the meals at Escondido...it sounds like la Coralina has great food. Do you have to go back to bocas to get water taxis?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: snorkeling tours

I'm going there in March, but will post a report when I get back. I expect that we will be going back to Bocas if we want to take water taxis, but we have a few excursions in mind where we can head out from Tesoro Escondido. Plan on walking over to La Coralina for lunch or dinner someday and eating a few meals at TE, which, by reports, also has good food.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: snorkeling tours

It's been a couple of years since i hired a water taxi for the day. Through a friend/hotel owner it was $30 for the day, $20 for a half day.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: snorkeling tours

I may sound like a wuss, but are there any snorkeling sites that the water is shallow enough to stand in? Thanks in advance! Be there in ten days.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: snorkeling tours

If you're standing up in a snorkeling site, you're killing the coral that makes it a site. The snorkeling sites at Bocas are reefs, not sand. Standing on coral, even touching coral, kills it. And the effects ripple from there ... to the fish that feed on the coral, to the fish that feed on the fish that feed on the coral and so on. If you want to snorkel over sand, go to the Royal Decameron on the Pacific side. You won't find it at Bocas.

19. Re: snorkeling tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2012, 04:54
20. Re: snorkeling tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2012, 04:54
Edited: 14 February 2012, 04:54
Get answers to your questions about Isla Colon
More Isla Colon Topics