We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time--Need advise please

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
431 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
First time--Need advise please

Planning a trip to Panama late Dec. Wife and I enjoy small beach towns where we can scuba dive, fish, walk around town, day trips, bars, and talking with locals. Looks like Bocas is the place to be. Correct? Is it best to stay on Colon Island or should we stay on another Island? Is a week too long on Colon? How do we get to Bocas? How is the diving?

Looks like Labuga Dive Shop and Tropic Suites--according to TA. Please give me your recommendations. Any direct flights to Bocas?

Regards!!!!!

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time--Need advise please

Hey Auddy, there are 4 dive shops in Bocas, all quite good, Tropic Suites is a nice place to stay, quite expensive though, most people say overpriced, its rite on the water but rite in the centre of town, a little noisey, there are ,several bars within a stones through away, most of the gringos hang out at Toro Loco. There are direct flights from Panama City ,Aeroperlas and Air Panama, and Nature Air flys to Bocas from San Jose Costa Rica. We are actually closer to San Jose than to Panama City. Most of the nice beaches are on Isla Bostimentos, 2 islands away from Isla Colon.

Victoria Texas
Level Contributor
392 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time--Need advise please

Auddy

We were there for a week a couple of weeks ago. Rented La Casa Blanca on Isla Solarte and I dove with Bocas Water Sports. I'd totally recommend both, but I'd just recommend someplace that you're comfortable with the look of and go for it. Solarte was a little hassle because you had to take water taxi to town, but it was so incredibly quiet and the snorkeling at Hospital Point was grand and a short walk away. Also, Bocas Water Sports picked me up and dropped me off each day.

Bocas is not really like anywhere we've ever been before. Bocastown is a town, Solarte is a quiet island. We didn't make it to the town end of Bastimentos, but the beach was grand. Caranero looked more like town, but we just boated over to eat and back home, so we didn't see a whole lot.

I'm certain that there's a bunch of stuff we didn't see in a week, but we fell in love with the area and with Panama generally. The diving wasn't stellar,but the weather didn't cooperate a lot. The reefs are in great shape though....lots of little fish and very easy comfortable diving.

Feel free to PM if you got more questions.

Panama
Level Contributor
111 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time--Need advise please

Hola Auddy,

Bocas del Toro has several dive shops and all within walking distance on Isla Colon. Bocas has beautiful soft coral and is an archiapelago of mangrove islands. The benefit of staying on Isla Colon is you can walk to the dive shop, restaurants, bars, talk with locals, etc. while spending your day on a dive boat or taking a day excursion if you want a change of pace. Its a charming caribbean town. Take a little more time to research where to stay and which dive shop. Peak season begins after Dec. 15th, so its best to make a reservation without delay. HAVE A FABULOUS TIME!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time--Need advise please

We loved staying in Bocas Town. Plenty to do day or night. The other islands would have been to quiet for us, but were beautiful. Tropical Suites looked great, but we didn't want to pay that much. We stayed at Cocomo, close to town, but away from the noise. You will have a great time. We are already planning our next trip to Bocas and going to stay at least 1 week.

5. Re: First time--Need advise please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 November 2009, 18:36
Edited: 28 November 2009, 18:36
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,938 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time--Need advise please

Another ONE POST WONDER. So who knows what this Poster's agenda is?

7. Re: First time--Need advise please

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 November 2009, 19:36
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,938 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time--Need advise please

LOTS of TA advisors have thousands of posts! Why? Because we TRAVEL and are objective and fair. I personally am a Realtor in FL. I DO NOT post re: my business interests. I do post both positive and negative true experiences from where I travel. Also I have received invaluable advice before traveling to new destinations by researching, lot of it on TA! Many of my posts are questions which have helped me avoid bad experiences. Just to satisfy your curiousity!

9. Re: First time--Need advise please

Removed on: 28 November 2009, 20:35
10. Re: First time--Need advise please

Removed on: 28 November 2009, 22:06