We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm in town

Montreal
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
I'm in town

Hey guys, well i am finally here!!!!! I got one or two questions....

I cannot get over how expensive groceries are here,is there a secret place to buy food i don't know about????Meat and fish,where the heck do you get it??? i was sure fish would be everywhere........At least booze is cheap.What should be the price for a taxi to Bluff?? And how do i get back??? looking like a beautiful day in paradise this friday. HAVE A GOOD ONE,

Azul Restaurant
££ - £££, Seafood, Fusion, Caribbean
Leaf Eaters Cafe
££ - £££, Cafe
Falafel Bocas
£, Fast food, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern
Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm in town

I have gone off the island to buy in bulk with friends before, but I don't know where we went. I just followed. Hopefully you will get some better feedback.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm in town

On vacation, I always find unless you have the "insider's guide" to purchasing items, it actually is cheaper to just go out to eat. Also a tip for Panama, if you are trying to buy things you see on the shelves in Canada, or the US, they will be very very highly priced here. Looking at the equivalent in Panama's version of the same thing, or close to the same thing, (this is where Spanish comes in handy, so you can read the labels) will be much less expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Bocas del Toro
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm in town

you can get fish directly from the fisherman through a little place next to the Tropical Market. To the left as you face the Tropical Market. It looks like somebody's home...and it is!

For meat, you are pretty much stuck with the chinese supermarket - all the same prices. I like Christina for the meat and I use Isla Colon for other purchases. I like the variety they have vs. La Victoria. But for simpler stuff La Victoria will be cheaper.

Some of the groceries stores off the main drag are a bit cheaper. ie.La Victoria. From Gran Kahuna, facing towards the ferry, turn at the street corner, and then right again, and you will see the market. But they do not have as big as a selection as say Isla Colon or Christina.... Definitely buy veggies/fruits at the little stands, they are usually cheaper. A cheap one is down the street from the german bakery now called something else. Around the corner from the electricity company.

You can get wholesale beers and soda at the Reef - no wholesale number needed.

Keep in mind things are always more expensive on an island, especially here as we are on the other side of the country from where everything comes in (Panama City) except veggies and rice from David. Still transport is what makes it expensive. Things are much cheaper in David or in the Capital.

Mentioned in this post
Isla Colon
Isla Colon
Bocas del Toro Province, Panama
Panama City
Panama City
Panama Province, Panama
David
David
Chiriqui Province, Panama
Montreal
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm in town

Thanks again for the info guys!!!!But to answer the question of labels there is no local food,only imported so yeah it's much more expensive .Muchos gracias for the fish guy i will go see him for sure.2days here,i love it,reallydo

Aybody got a hands up on lots for sale by locals and not realtors????.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm in town

Only Imports? What type of things are you looking for that are only imports?

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm in town

No tomato sauce, tomato paste with Central America label? Wow !

No juices or coffee or oatmeal or rice, etc. with Central America label?

All imports.....? Wow, that will be expensive. Also remember, that when on vacation in a small place (not near a large city) anywhere in the world, prices are bound to be alot more because the visitor is a CAPTIVE to it, lol !

Montreal
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm in town

No,none that i've seen. There are actually stuff that's more expensive than home. But i'll figure it out.There's a woman from David that can buy stuff for us.Weather is great,going to Drago today.....

Mentioned in this post
David
David
Chiriqui Province, Panama
Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm in town

I usually stay at the Cocomo. There are 2 different grocery stores very close to Cocomo. I have not noticed any imported stuff at these stores except for maybe M&Ms. Everything we buy from these grocery stores is made in CA.

Edited: 18 December 2010, 18:38
9. Re: I'm in town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2011, 05:25