We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quepos or Uvita or Bocas del Toro

THe Sunny 305
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Quepos or Uvita or Bocas del Toro

I need a little help here. I'm trying to decide what to do for our 10yr anniversary. We have been to Quepos ( Tulemar ) before, but found a nice resort in Uvita ( Oxygen Jungle Villas ) and in Bocas (Punta Caracol ) some help here please. We really liked our visit to CR, but traveling in July not really sure on how the weather will treat us. Some input on locations selected, and time of travel will be helpful.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quepos or Uvita or Bocas del Toro

Manuel Antonio is very different then the other places you are looking at. I actually am not a big fan of Manuel Antonio. Costa Rica 101 with a Disney vibe IMO.

Getting to Bocas or Uvita is not as simple as Manuel Antonio. How much time do you have? An easy first visit for Bocas is going through Costa Rica via Puerto Viejo then on to Bocas and fly back to San Jose. This is a very fun trip and the least painful way. Weather is a toss up for all the areas, so don't let that influence you.

Austin
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Quepos or Uvita or Bocas del Toro

mrolfes:

Would you mind elaborating on your "Disney" comment about Manuel Antonio? My fiance and I are hosting a 20-guest wedding there. We chose it because it seems to be beautiful, we found (what I hope to be) a great boutique hotel, and it will be easy on those members of our families who aren't well traveled. I avoided the northern Pacific area and the Hilton-type hotels to avoid that over-commercialized feeling.

Any comments you have would be helpful, (ie: what to avoid in regards to restaurants, bars, tours).

Thanks!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quepos or Uvita or Bocas del Toro

@ Laura, Manuel Antonio is the most popular destination in CR. Arenal/ MA combo is what most people do to introduce themselves to CR. The park is fun and a great place to see it all. If you get a guide you will see TONS of wildllife, almost like you are in a zoo. When an American who has never been to CR pictures what CR would be like, Manuel Antonio is it, but it is really set up for tourists. That is where the Disney comment comes from. There are guides, tours, para sailing, banana boat rides, snack carts on the beach with ice cream and fresh coconuts cut open with a machete, chairs and umbrellas for rent... anything and everything that tourists would want to spend money on, MA has it. That is not a bad thing for a tourist destination if you are looking for that type trip. MA is beautiful.

For a big group and specially for those not well traveled, MA is a good choice. Getting around MA is not easy. Quepos is the town. Manuel Antonio is where the hotels are next to the park. MA is on a windy road cut into the hill. You can't walk along this road so you need to either drive or take taxis. Many hotels are up in the hill, so beautiful views, but not walkable to the beaches.

I have already hijacked this post enough, so it would be best for you to check out the CR forum. MA is discussed ALL the time.

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quepos or Uvita or Bocas del Toro

Actually I would argue that Jaco Beach is the most popular Beach destination in CR, judging by the crowds and # of condo complexes. Bocas del Toro in July on the other hand is usually much more quiet with the crowds coming later on in the year. If you liked Caracol, I would suggest looking into El Natural, Playa Cayuco or some of the other resorts on Isla Bastimentos in the Bocas archipeligo. They are adjacent to Isla Zapatillas, one of the most beautiful beach settings you will ever experience.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quepos or Uvita or Bocas del Toro

True Bastimentos, but many of the visitors are Ticos coming for the weekend from San Jose. It is a different type tourist town then MA. Some people like it some don't. Some people want to travel with all the conviences of home, some don't.

6. Re: Quepos or Uvita or Bocas del Toro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 06:15