We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from Bocas airport

Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi from Bocas airport

Hi

I will be arriving into Bocas from Panama City on Air Panama on December 24th.Are there taxis readily available at the airport to take passengers to hotels.

Thank you.

bocas del toro...
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from Bocas airport

yes - no worries - where are you headed?

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,189 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from Bocas airport

The taxi wranglers, who get taxis for you at the airport, will try to charge you $2 to go anywhere in Bocas Town. Within Bocas Town, because it is so small, the fare is $1. It may not seem like a big deal to you, but it's the charge-whatever-the-gringo-will-pay attitude. It has taken over in Panama City, hurting locals and tourists alike. If you feel like it, tip the driver $1, But, insist on the correct $1 fare to go to your hotel.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
321 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from Bocas airport

You are aware that you need to take a taxi from PTY airport to Albrook to catch the Air Panama flight to Bocas, right? The taxi will cost at least $33 - make them show you their placard with prices before you get into the taxi.

If you want a shuttle driver let me know. It is at least a 45 minute ride from PTY to Albrook.

Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from Bocas airport

Thank you very much for your replies and advice.It is so appreciated .We will be staying at Playa Tortuga and to Florence L ,we will already be in Panama City several days prior to our Bocas flight and thanks to all the wonderful people who take the time to answer questions on this, and other Panama forums,I have been able to gather information about transportation to/from the airports in Panama.City.

bocas del toro...
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from Bocas airport

I believe that Playa Tortuga will provide a free pickup from the airport when you arrive. I always see their shuttle bus driver at the airport. You should email them & confirm your arrival information - flight time / date.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi from Bocas airport

Playa Tortuga has a shuttle bus that I see driving in town all the time so you should write and see if they will pick you up for free. Usually the taxis to anywhere in town in, it's .60 cents but from the airport is a dollar. The regular price for playa tortuga is 2.00

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi from Bocas airport

You should check with Playa tortuga to see if they can pick you up from the airport. If not then there are always taxis around. If for some reason they are not by the airport then they are usually in the city.

Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi from Bocas airport

Playa Tortuga wants to charge 20.00 for the 4 of us to be transported from the airport to the hotel.Does this seem correct? Definitely not free.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
321 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi from Bocas airport

That seems really high. I think a taxi would be cheaper. It was only a $1 for us each to go to the Botanical Garden and its almost in the same neighborhood. It's not close enough to walk too however. That's the problem.

bocas del toro...
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi from Bocas airport

Lots of taxis at the airport. I would think that it will be $2 pp from the airport to Playa Tortuga