We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bocas without bites

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Bocas without bites

Hi: my wife and I are looking into a trip to Bocas in January but I am concerned with bugs. I loved Roatan but could not get her to return for piles of cash due to the biting she endured. Are there places in Bocas with fewer bugs bites? I was originally attracted to Carenero but it seems like that is off the table due to bugs.

Looking for island, beach, diving, possibly surf, mellow is good.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bocas without bites

I feel like your wife. I go a bit crazy to prevent bites. For mosquitoes I take vitamin B1 (has to be B1, not 12 or 6 or a complex with B 1 in it). My friend who also gets eaten added garlic pills to the mix so I do too now. Why not. I don't have a problem with mosquitoes when I do this still at sunset I either go inside or in the water. That is the worst time for bites especially near the sand. Now in bocas I have never had an issue with mosquitoes, no seeums are the problem. Dusk is a problem and I do stay away from carenero at this time. One side is better then the other because of a breeze. As long as there is air movement you usually don't have much of a problem. Here is what you really need and you need to use a lot of it, oil. I like the stuff pickled parrot makes and I bring a small spray bottle with me to put it in. For those who put on a light coat once and still get bit and complain it doesn't work they aren't using it right. Think greased pig and reapply. You know it is working when you find the suckers dead on you. Some years the no seeums are more of a problem then others. I usually go June/July every year. Also bring some Claritin. This works the best once you have gotten bit and you won't have as much of a reaction. You can't get Claritin in bocas without a prescription and it is expensive. Saying all this, and coming from someone who gets eaten by mosquitoes, I don't have an issue in bocas except on carenero. I have a friend who is like me and gets really bad reactions to the bites, she had to go to the doc in bocas for the bites, but she won't use the oil like I do and she won't avoid the danger zones at dusk. Aren't you glad you asked:)

California
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bocas without bites

I agree with using the Pickled Parrot's juice. :-)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bocas without bites

I believe no seeums are worse in the green season. We got bitten in late March on Careneros, but nowhere else, and we went all around. There are lots of chill places to stay in Bocas. Most of em by Bluff Beach are like that. I did a little researching before our trip and bought something online called Cactus Juice. This stuff is good for after burn or insect bites, and even great for after shaving to prevent any razor burn. Love the stuff.

Lake Worth, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Bocas without bites

What is green season?

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bocas without bites

Green season is rainy season. Sounds better right;)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bocas without bites

Which better come really soon. It hasn't really rained good in a month and we are out of water, very bad news.

Schwenksville...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bocas without bites

Our family just returned from Bocas Del Toro virtually bite-free.

We purchased the product Cactus Juice online

and it worked great. It is all natural and OK to use when snorkeling, also has a sunscreen built in.

For mosquitoes we took vitamin B12 daily a few weeks before our trip. Also used Repel with Deet at night if

the mosquitoes were real bad. Hope this helps!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bocas without bites

Mornings between 5:30am to 7:00 am and 6:00pm to 7:00 pm around is the bad time out your hotel...

Morehead City...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bocas without bites

Also coconut oil local stuff.I don't remember the chitres.THey say travel with white girl and you won't be bit.They like fair skin!

10. Re: Bocas without bites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 05:19