We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bastimentos v. Colon

Culver City...
14 posts
Save Topic
Bastimentos v. Colon

Hello All,

I'm excitedly planning a last minute trip to Panama. My primary reason for going to is experience the San Blas Islands. I feel very fortunate that I was able to secure lodging at Yandup lodge which everyone raves about.

I also plan to spend a few days in Panama City.

So please help me decide between these two spots. And for you experts out there, this isn't a contest or competition. I've seen some fiesty forums of late.

They both look incredible. Since I'm spending four days in San

Blas and I'm solo, I would like to meet some people especially at night where people dance and what have you. I also want to experince the local lifestyle. That's why I love to travel is to find other cultures. Otherwise I could go to Breezes or some Sandals resort.

So all that being said, any suggestions. Is it possible to get from Colon to Bocas in a relatively short time or not? Some of the experts have reccomended staying in an area called Bluff?

Any other suggestions.

My ideal spot somewhere very close to nice beaches or rain forest but also easy to get to Bocas by bus, taxi, bike or scooters, do they rent scooters.

Well I hope I get some responses. I'm leaving on Sunday. Maybe I can meet some of you there.

Peace,

Eric from So. CAl

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
San Blas Islands
San Blas Islands
934 Reviews
Guna Yala Region, Panama
Panama City
Panama City
Panama Province, Panama
Isla Colon
Isla Colon
Bocas del Toro Province, Panama
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
Eclypse de Mar
Eclypse de Mar
#2 of 20 Speciality lodging in Isla Bastimentos
Palmar Beach Lodge
Palmar Beach Lodge
#3 of 20 Speciality lodging in Isla Bastimentos
El Faro del Colibri
El Faro del Colibri
#17 of 111 Speciality lodging in Bocas del Toro Province
Denver, Colorado
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bastimentos v. Colon

All of the islands in Bocas del Toro are beautiful. You're going to have a great trip, no matter what. Personally, I prefer Bastimentos over Colon. On my recent trip to Panama, I met a friendly traveler on the bus who recommended this great hostel on Bastimentos called Bocas Bound. I too was a little afraid of being isolated out on Bastimentos, but it was not that way at all. The boat taxis to and from Bocas Town were cheap and easy to get- and they run at night so you can go into town for some night life if you want to. Just make sure to talk to a boat taxi driver about your return ride before it gets too late. Bocas Bound was great- clean, comfortable and the staff was super friendly and helpful. They like to party too, so they were an excellent resource in finding the best nightlife in the region. Being on Bastimentos was totally worth it- the beaches, the jungle, and the new zip line are awesome. But, I would have to say, if you REALLY like to party late, then I would stay on Colon.

Mentioned in this post
Isla Bastimentos
Isla Bastimentos
Isla Colon
Isla Colon
Panama
Panama
Central America
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
Panama
Level Contributor
111 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bastimentos v. Colon

Clean, accurate review of Bocas del Toro!

The adventure is worth the effort of getting here!

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bastimentos v. Colon

One thing you're not hearing here: the one, true, great party town is Panama. Period. Anything else is barely a frat party.

Do not expect ANY partying on the San Blas Islands. The Kuna Yala have very strict standards about their very conservative sense of morality. Please respect it while you are there.

One warning (again) about Bocas ... they have had a number of fatalities due to water taxis being out at night without any navigation lights. Rider beware.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
14. Re: Bastimentos v. Colon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Isla Bastimentos
Recent Conversations